Certified Ethical Hacker training

CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
edited July 2005 in Science & Tech
I've convinced the boss to send me to a 5 day course in Certified Ethical Hacking, with a certification test to be passed at the end of the course.

Has anyone been through this course, or have any advice on how I can prepare myself ahead of time to becoming more familiar with the material that will be presented. I know some of it already, but the more I know going in, the more (I think) I can gain from the experience.

In case your curious, the course outline is shown here: http://www.newhorizons.com/content/outlinedisplay.aspx?SKU=300002347

I could just start seaching the net for those subjects and start reading up on them, but a more comprehensive resource(s) would be ideal. Thanks!!

Comments

• Shadow2018Shadow2018 Northwest Missouri
    edited July 2005
    What exactly is "ethical hacking"?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    people say "test our security" so you try to hack them, they pay you. Once inside, you don't break things, you just tell the people who asked for it. Some guy from a security firm came to our school and talked about it. Pretty cool stuff.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited July 2005
    yeah you pretty much identify vulnerabilities and then email them about it or leave a .txt file around with info about it.

the people who hacked the bf2 stats tried to be ethical at first by notifying EA that their stats page was not secure. after repeated attemps to contact EA and let them know of the problem, EA just keept ignoring them. eventually they took action and gave a whole bunch of people access to all weapons even if they hadn't earned them. well EA finally woke up and patched the hole...

so they stopped being ethical the moment the exploited the hole.

wow that sounds kinda dirty! :mullet:
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited July 2005
    A good friend of mine does this for a living, often for some very big corporations. Except they call it technical security risk analysis. He makes very good money doing to, too.

Dexter...
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    The military uses them as well to make systems more secure for us (CND = Computer Network Defense) and to crash our enemies' systems (CNA = Computer Network Attack).