calling all Brits!

kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
edited September 2003 in Gaming
OK my brit friends, as you may know, i visited ye old country about two weeks ago. while i was over there, i saw a tv show where they take four people to play a strategy game, in this case it was a battle between Hannibal and the roman army. now i saw a few commercials advertising this tv show, so i'm hoping one of you know, which game were they playing? it looked awesome, like it could blow away any other RTS game out there. is it a real game or did they make it just for that show, any plans on releasing it to the public?

thanks.

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited September 2003
    Kanezfan, I hate to nit pick (well, not really) but it's not "ye old country", it's ye olde country. Remember, they do everything different over there... Hell, they can't even drive on the right side of the road! ;D
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Im not telling you nothing :mad:

You came to the UK and didn't even stop to say ello? :bawling:

/me grumbles
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    kanezfan said
    OK my brit friends, as you may know, i visited ye old country about two weeks ago. while i was over there, i saw a tv show where they take four people to play a strategy game, in this case it was a battle between Hannibal and the roman army. now i saw a few commercials advertising this tv show, so i'm hoping one of you know, which game were they playing? it looked awesome, like it could blow away any other RTS game out there. is it a real game or did they make it just for that show, any plans on releasing it to the public?

thanks.

Ok, right, Sky Digital has like 700 channels..... you are going to have to be a 'tad' more specific.....

NS
  • NixxerNixxer Nottingham, UK
    edited September 2003
    I think you're on about Time Commanders. For the record, it wasnt Hannibal, it was meant to be the computer in some physical form. The point of the show is for a team of people to battle a "computer with the knowledge of a general" in historic battles. From what I saw, the team got absolutely slaughtered.
    Time Commanders is an innovative new approach to history - it attempts to overturn the past with the use of the latest technology.

In this exciting game of military strategy presented by Eddie Mair, wannabe warriors enter a virtual world and take on the greatest generals in history - from Julius Caesar to Napoleon.

In a specially designed studio, a team is faced with a map of the battlefield and the formidable enemy, through the use of amazingly realistic computer generated imagery.

Their task is to create a strategy that will change the course of history and their decisions are played out before them, while historians offer an insight into the military technology of the times, the tactics and political context.

Thats the details about it I found on one of the BBC's press releases. I think its a custom game/simulator too.
  • grobagsgrobags Glorious Blighty
    edited September 2003
    Yeah the TV show is called Time Commanders and it was on BBC 2 i think.

The first week it was Hannibal versus the Romans and last week it was Boudicia versus the Romans (once again).

As for your question - they have never actually said what the game is so i dont know sorry!:confused:

One forum says that it uses the Rome Total War engine - http://totalwars.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9600#9600

Hope that helps.:D

Grobags

P.S Driving on the left is way better!:thumbsup:
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    the thing is, it takes like 8 hours to fly over, then you guys drive on the left, it totally screwed with my head.

shorty, i mentioned that i was flying over on addaboy, guess you missed it. sorry.
    edited September 2003
    We could solve the "wrong side of the road" issue pretty easily...

just start renting these things:
    picture2.art

and you can drive on either side of the road w/o a problem:
    picture1.jpg

:D
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    that's it, it's the Rome Total War engine, http://www.totalwar.com/community/rome.htm this game looks awesome, looks like a difinite must buy.
    edited September 2003
    Hmm. Shogun: Total War is one of the best strategy games of all time, IMO. This one ought to be good.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited September 2003
    kanezfan said
    the thing is, it takes like 8 hours to fly over, then you guys drive on the left, it totally screwed with my head.

shorty, i mentioned that i was flying over on addaboy, guess you missed it. sorry.

I think when the pilgrims went over they must have had 'boat lag' and got it wrong. We drive on the correct side, the civillised side whereas you drive on the same side as the French. So ner.:screwed:

bothered.