Will i need chassifans

EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
edited August 2005 in Hardware
Well it's time for me to build another computer but not for me, it's for my brother. I got the parts about about a week ago but haven't had the time to start. Today when i did i saw something, the chassi is missing chassifans.

The chassi is a Q-tec L-MD 350 black and i must say that the similaritys with my own antec sonata are remarcable. Anyways this case is with out a doubt "cheaper" than mine but even so i think it's strange that it doesn't feature any fans other than the one in the psu. Nor powercord!!

I'm not to fond of the fact of dealing with things i know nothing about so i looked online but no reviews could be found and according to q-tec everything should be fine.

I'm going to continue since i can't wait untill i get a reply but if anyone thinks this is a bad idea please say so quickly.

The rest of the stuff will be:
MSI 865PE Neo2-v mobo
intel p4 3e
crucial 512 mb ram - the only part i like since i use it too
XFS geforce fx 5500
unknow cd and discdrive but samsung hd

Comments

• dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited August 2005
    EyesOnly, NO Case fans is not a good idea. I'm sure it will run warm/hot, even though you may be in a colder climate.

Had a look at the case and in the specs it states:
    Room for optional 80mm fan

I personally would put 2 in, 1 in and 1 out, providing the case can be set up for it.

ps. Like the board. Sally has 3 of them.

pps. Happy Birthday
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited August 2005
    10 for 10$ at newegg...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=35-150-007&depa=0

Hell at that price grab 20 of em :)
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited August 2005
    Colder climate yeah right. You've obviuosly never been in my computer room. It's not excactly cold all the times. Anyways i thought so. My brother aint gonna like this. Since i wanna finish construction i'll put in a fan i have, a 9 cm papst. I don't need it so it'll work for a while. :thumbsup:

On i sidenote i really hope i didn't break the cpu. Have never mounted a intel before and only one amd so i'm kinda new at this. I'll know soon enough. :eek::thumbsup:

Thanks for the answers.
    edited August 2005
    FormFactor wrote:
    10 for 10$ at newegg...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=35-150-007&depa=0

Hell at that price grab 20 of em :)

I don't need 20 fans and my brother isn't much for online shopping but thanks for the advice.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited August 2005
    Intels are fairly simple. 2 levers and 4 clips.

Push the top cage onto the frame attached to the mobo. Next push the 2 levers over gently. This locks it into position.

To remove, push levers into opposite direction and to undo the cage, gently pry open with a flat bladed screwdriver.
    edited August 2005
    Looks like my brother will have to buy some fans after all. There was no mountingbrackets suplied with my fan and none of the screws left from the new case seemed to be made for fans. I tried several but non fit correctly. Oh well. If i'm correct there should be some sort of temperature gage in bios. Hope so because i don't wanna wait untill i've finished installing windows before i find out how hot this case is. :cool:
    edited August 2005
    dragonV8 wrote:
    Intels are fairly simple. 2 levers and 4 clips.

Push the top cage onto the frame attached to the mobo. Next push the 2 levers over gently. This locks it into position.

To remove, push levers into opposite direction and to undo the cage, gently pry open with a flat bladed screwdriver.

I figured as much from the instructions but you're forgetting something. Murphy and his law. :eek: :shakehead

Lot's can go wrong. :(
    edited August 2005
    I forgot to say yesterday that the parts was selected by a store as a package. My other brother, not the one i'm building for, thinks i should trust the store to know their stuff so i will. I still don't like doing this.

It seems as the right side of the case is supposed to come of to mount cds and stuff but so far it hasn't. I have a flatbed screwdriver i'll try to pry with. Hopefully that will help. I've checked the front and theres no screws there, only in the back. Why couldn't it have rails like the sonata, then i wouldn't have to bother with this.

I thought that building a computer would be easy and it would have been if it weren't for all the trouble i've had. For instance the mobo came with many screws but no good instructions as to what goes where so i ended up using the wrong ones and had to remove them again. Then it was yours truely stupid attempting to mount the cpu upside down. I couldn't figure why the pins didn't seem to fit before i noticed that i could see the pins. :o Good thing i didn't apply any pressure. :rolleyes:

Edit
    I just got the side of, came right of with the screwdriver. It didn't sit that hard just that i couldn't get a good grip before.
    edited August 2005
    The answer to the question i asked in the title of this thread si definitly YES. I know that now.

After i got the right side of it all went really smooth. I really hope i never have to attach those damn cables for the front buttons again. :mean: Anyways soon it was time to power up. It all seemed really good though noicy. The cdrom wouln't eject and the computer didn't find either it nor the hd but i noticed that i had turned the datacable wrong at the hd. Using it only for the cd and using another one for the hd fixed that. After some attemps i finally got into bios an made a quick check. Most seemed ok but some was changed though nothing concerning cpu speed.

Next i entered the temp meny and didn't like what i saw. The cpu temp was 60C and the case temp 40. I mounted the leftside cover too and left the computer to go and get the mail. When i got back here's what i found.

cpu: 60-65 C
    mobo: 40-45 C
    cpufan almost at 4000 rpm.
    And it wasn't even on any load!! :eek::eek: :shakehead :rolleyes::mad::wtf:

Compair that to my system
    cpu: 53
    mobo: 28
    cpufan at 1400 rpm
    All at lowest settings in my fancontroller and running fah.

Sure a p4 will prolly run hotter that an 2.8 amd but still. I see now why this cpu get nicknamed presshot. ;D

I turned it off and sure aren't gonna be booting it before more fans are added.
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited August 2005
    Although I love to make jokes about intel processors running .. the temperature sensors could be miscalibrated. Does 40* actually seem reasonable given the air coming out of the case?

Are you still at 0 case fans? I'd believe those temps if you had no case fans in there.
    edited August 2005
    I don't know about the air temperature since that computer's been offline since my last message. I don't think there's anything wrong with the sensors and the temps seems perfectly resonable considering the circumstances but i still don't like it. I spoke with my other brother and he thinks i shouldn't worry since i didn't select the parts, the rig is under warranty so if something goes wrong i'm not to blaim.

It sounds stupid but he's right. The computer will run hotter than hell but it'll run. I just wanna get this thing out of my mind so i'll continue and hope for the best. Hopefully the store will accept it back should anything happen and may my brother not store anything to precious on the hd should it fail.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited August 2005
    EyesOnly wrote:
    I don't know about the air temperature since that computer's been offline since my last message. I don't think there's anything wrong with the sensors and the temps seems perfectly resonable considering the circumstances but i still don't like it. I spoke with my other brother and he thinks i shouldn't worry since i didn't select the parts, the rig is under warranty so if something goes wrong i'm not to blaim.

It sounds stupid but he's right. The computer will run hotter than hell but it'll run. I just wanna get this thing out of my mind so i'll continue and hope for the best. Hopefully the store will accept it back should anything happen and may my brother not store anything to precious on the hd should it fail.

You really need some fans in that thing. Theres no sence in killing a perfectly good system when a fan will cost you $9 at the local computer store. Under load that chip is going to threshold out and smoke in less then a month.
    edited August 2005
    I hear you but it ain't my problem. The rig is built, windows installed and i've got a headache. Man that thing is loud.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited August 2005
    Dont say you wern't warned! :mullet:
    edited August 2005
    jradmin wrote:
    Dont say you wern't warned! :mullet:

:D

I'm not. I'll tell my brother about my findings, then it's up to him to decide what to do. I too think it's stupid to run a computer this hot but i can't do anything since it's not my stuff. All i can do is hope that he trusts my advice. Since he told me to build it he knows i'm good with computers but so is my other brother and he thinks it'll be ok.

Hopefully he'll realize that it's not just about getting a computer to run, it's also important to make it run well under a long period of time. He doesn't use his computer alot but that's no excuse to let it break down. If only i was the oldest brother, that would make it easier. Unfortunaly i'm the youngest and my brothers ae atleast 10 years older than me.

Oh well. He'll be warned, i'll make sure of that. What he does then is his choice.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    intels will throttle (slow down) when they get too hot. Intel's specs for the prescott say that the case temperature for the prescott with the stock hsf should be 38*C. Case temp alone will not cause the processor to throttle, but one article I read (THG) said that their prescott throttled around 72*C - supposedly different prescotts (even from the same batch) will throttle at different temps. I'd say it's fairly likely that your brother's computer will hit the throttle temp under full load. Your brother may not hurt his processor, but he won't see the performance that he paid for.
    edited August 2005
    Yeah the cpu manual did mention 38*C hence why i worried. I forgot about the throttel. Anyways my brother doesn't play any games so he'll prolly not notice. BTW his previous computer was a p2 400 so it'll really be faster as far as he's concerned.

Also that computer ran win 98!! His main reason to upgrade was because his new cellphone has some features that requires faster cpu. I don't remember what it was, prolly for downloading pics from it.