A few questions

edited August 2005 in Folding@Home
Well I decided to "take the plunge" and join the folding team.

I installed the newest console version, answered the questions and rebooted.

Now what??

I tried starting up the .exe and it started asking me the same questions I had already answered,

1. Is there another program that I need?

2. Will this effect my FPS in game?

3. Anything else I should do??

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    djstubbs wrote:
    Well I decided to "take the plunge" and join the folding team.
    Thanks for joining! :D

I installed the newest console version, answered the questions and rebooted.

Now what??

I tried starting up the .exe and it started asking me the same questions I had already answered.
    As long as you answered "Yes" to allow it to run as a service, you are all set. You can check Task Manager to make sure it's running.

1. Is there another program that I need?
    You might want to install Electron Microscope to monitor your Folding.

It shouldn't. The program is designed to automatically back off its CPU usage when you're doing something else on your computer.

3. Anything else I should do??
    You might want to watch the Notable Milestones Forum once you hit 1,000 points. We like to let our teammates know we appreciate them. :)
  • edited August 2005
    I guess I'll run it again.

But now I have a few more questions.

1. If I run this on more than one computer do I just do the exact same thing I did here?

2. I saw that some of you have these "certificates", how does that work?
    edited August 2005
    djstubbs wrote:
    ...1. If I run this on more than one computer do I just do the exact same thing I did here?
    Yep. Just make sure it's set to to run as a service. Use the exact same username and Team # (93) so you get credit for all the points for each computer.
    2. I saw that some of you have these "certificates", how does that work?
    Once you've turned in a Work Unit (WU) you will show up on the stats at Stanford. When that happens you'll find a link to it on your stats page. :)
  • edited August 2005
    Okay, thanks for the quick response.

Two more questions for you:

1. Can I minimize the folding .exe to the tray?

2. Is there another place I can download Electron-Microscope? (EM-DC.COM is down..)
    edited August 2005
    djstubbs wrote:
    1. Can I minimize the folding .exe to the tray?
    When you first run the console it will stay open as long as you let it. Once you see that it's downloaded a WU and begun Folding, the best thing to do is reboot - it will then start automatically as a service with nothing showing.

Make sure you haven't inadvertently installed it more than once. :cool:
    2. Is there another place I can download Electron-Microscope? (EM-DC.COM is down..)
    They're back now - I just checked. :thumbsup:
  • edited August 2005
    I think I did install it twice but the first time I installed I set it to NOT run at startup, and it was the same .exe.
    edited August 2005
    Just make sure you only have two things beginning with FAH running in Task Manager, one of them will be FAH502-Console.exe; the other will be FAHCore_xx.exe (the xx will be a number, such as 78). The FAHCore should be taking up most of your CPU %. ;)
  • edited August 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Just make sure you only have two things beginning with FAH running in Task Manager, one of them will be FAH502-Console.exe; the other will be FAHCore_xx.exe (the xx will be a number, such as 78). The FAHCore should be taking up most of your CPU %. ;)

Yup those are the only two...

Now I installed that program you said to track it, but I'm not so sure how to use it.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Slowing down games is debatable. Everyone always said that it couldn't possibly slow games down etc but it always had a serious impact on Max Payne and a few other games. YMMV to be honest.
  • edited August 2005
    Enverex wrote:
    Slowing down games is debatable. Everyone always said that it couldn't possibly slow games down etc but it always had a serious impact on Max Payne and a few other games. YMMV to be honest.

Well I have been playing, and didn't notice a major difference.
  • SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
    edited August 2005

I think on Sanford's FAH pages they explained this and said that FAH should only make like a 1fps change at the most. FAH is set to Low Priority, so the game will take up your CPU cycles before FAH will.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I think on Sanford's FAH pages they explained this and said that FAH should only make like a 1fps change at the most. FAH is set to Low Priority, so the game will take up your CPU cycles before FAH will.

Good for them, but in GTA3 and Max Payne (maybe others, I wasn't playing anything else at the time) had quite noticable impacts on performance despite being set to idle.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2005
    I play CoDUO online, HL2 and UT online while folding. They all play great for me.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Some programs are not be as good at keeping their priority over it as others. Games that require constant processing are going to be inmpacted les by FAH becuase there is no fluctuation. A game that fluctuates in it's usage could be slowed down because FAH is slowing down and speeding up in responce, and grinding into the processing power that the game needs... This should be rare, as most games try to even out the amount processing that they have to do.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Enverex wrote:
    Good for them, but in GTA3 and Max Payne (maybe others, I wasn't playing anything else at the time) had quite noticable impacts on performance despite being set to idle.

I played GTA san andreas from start to finish and not once did F@H interfear with the game.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2005
    djstubbs wrote:
    Cs source and neocron 2 take a hit for me .... neocron 2 becomes unplayable.
  • edited August 2005
    Well If I need to play in a scrim or match I could just ctrl + alt + del the processes.

and then start them up again when i'm done.

for pubbing bf2, i noticed a slight decrease in fps, but this machine can handle it. ;D

---

So where can I see how many points I've accumulated?
    edited August 2005
    djstubbs wrote:
    ...Now I installed that program you said to track it, but I'm not so sure how to use it.
    Install the program, then click the microscope icon to bring up the Options screen.

Go to the little blue computer icon on the right near the lower-right-hand corner and browse to the folder you installed the console from.

Highlight the FAHConsole-502.exe program, click Open, then click Add a box. Don't be concerned if you get a warning that it "doesn't appear to be a FAH program".

You can rename the computer whatever you want. This is helpful if you have several computers on a LAN you want to monitor from one location.

You can play around with the other settings to suit your own preferences.

djstubbs wrote:
    ...So where can I see how many points I've accumulated?
    Once you've turned in a WU you can do a search for your username at Stanford's Stats Page to see your current point & WU total. EMIII will tell you the same thing. Many of us like to use the stats provided by EXTREME Overclocking - there are all sorts of nifty graphs and statistic breakdowns (daily/weekly/monthly, etc) to choose from. :D
  • edited August 2005
    LOL:

fah.jpg
    edited August 2005
    Well...we all had to start somewhere... ;D

That number will rise quickly, I'm sure. :thumbsup::fold:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Before you know it, you'll be in the top 100:

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?p=305532

:D