If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Icrontic Expo 2014: The gaming & general geekery event you don't want to miss. Read about what's new this year and then buy tickets here.

You know.. the band "Kiss"? Well, what does Kiss stand for?

JengoJengo Sedro-Woolley, WA | USA
edited Jul 2009 in The Icrontic Pub
Yeah.. cause i heard a rumor that it stood for Knights in Satans Service

is that true? cause if it is thats the stupidest name ive ever heard....

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect HumanGarbageDisposal Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Aug 2005
    Sounds like something the moral majority came up with to scare the kiddies at night ;D
  • -tk-tk Detroit, MI USA Icrontian
    edited Aug 2005
    KISS stands for: What a lame arsed bunch of has-been makeup rockers that should have recognized that their time in the sun was over.
  • QCHQCH Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited Aug 2005
    Kiss ROCKS :Rocker:

The "Knights in Satan’s Service" was created by Right Wing conservatist, and I'm not joking. However, I'm not sure what it stands for... I once knew but, alas, I have forgotten.

Back in the 70's and 80's, that was my band, even though I was only 10 years old.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited Aug 2005
    "Keep it simple stupid" in my mind. Nothing to do with the band but it works.
  • JengoJengo Sedro-Woolley, WA | USA
    edited Aug 2005
    i figured it out!!! its:

"Kleenex Is Super Soft"

w00t! i need a gold star guys! back me up!
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited Aug 2005
    Kiss isn't an acronym. The members of Kiss were originally from Queens, NY. There's a road in Queens called Kissena Boulevard and I had originally heard their inspiration came from it. Snopes doesn't say that's where the inspiration came from, but they were driving around trying to come up with names.

http://www.snopes.com/music/hidden/kiss.htm
  • LeonardoLeonardo Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited Aug 2005
    The KISS acronym urban legend has been going around since the 70's when I was in junior high and high school. Left wing, right wing, all-purpose conspiracy theorists -- I don't know who started it.
  • tcithtcith Sydney, Australia
    edited Aug 2005
    According to their official website Kiss online,

"According to Paul Stanley, Kiss just sounded dangerous (kiss of death) and sexy at the same time. Kiss denies the rumors that the name stands for "Kids In Service of Satan" which was started by fundementalists."
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited Aug 2005
    The band's name was rumored to stand for "Knights In Satan's Service" or "Knights In Service of Satan" but this is an urban legend - propagated in the 1970s by Minnesota-based evangelists the Peters Brothers - which Gene Simmons has denied in his autobiography, KISS And Make-Up. Simmons states that Paul Stanley suggested the name on the spur of the moment while they were stopped at a traffic light. Paul has also stated that the band name is not an acronym. Ace designed the infamous lightning bolt logo, and the rest is history. It has also been rumoured that the logo came from the German swastika, however, this too has been denied, by Ace.

Wikipedia
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas
    edited Aug 2005
    Keep it Simple Stupid is what I found
  • edited Jul 2009
    QCH said:
    Kiss ROCKS :Rocker:

The "Knights in Satan�s Service" was created by Right Wing conservatist, and I'm not joking. However, I'm not sure what it stands for... I once knew but, alas, I have forgotten.

Back in the 70's and 80's, that was my band, even though I was only 10 years old.
    More like some left wing lossers.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut Toronto, ON Icrontian
    edited Jul 2009
    If you joined simply to make a political comments, I can promise you they're unwelcome. If you joined to be a contributing member of our community, I welcome you with open arms.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm 's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands Icrontian
    edited Jul 2009
    LOSSERS INDEED

Was it worth it? Was it worth dragging up a 4-year-old thread just to throw in some ridiculously lame political punch? Glad you got that out of your system. Next time spell correctly while you're at it.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited Jul 2009
    I love it when I get to go "Hey, I posted in this thread? I don't remember that...."

and then I look at the date. Ahhhh the memories, makes me feel young again.