BSOD Help Appreciated

OrianeOriane Turn around.
edited November 2005 in Hardware
Mom powered off her PC without shutting down from Windows and is getting the following BSOD message:

NO_MORE_IRP_STACK LOCATIONS
STOP: 0x35(0x83067008,0x0,0x0,0x0)

She is getting this only on normal boot. I’m able to get into Safe Mode.

I ran out on Google and it said to look at RAM and drivers. I’ve run Memtest86+ and it passes. However, getting there was weird-

She has a Creative 12x DVD-ROM as her Secondary Master and a
Samsung CDRW as her Secondary Slave.

Memtest tried to boot from the Creative first and hung but was able to boot from the Samsung next. The Creative seems to work fine in Safe Mode- but I’m questioning it’s ability to boot.

I also ran the Error-checking tool in the Drive properties. It passed- but I don’t have a lot of confidence in the test.

Right now I’m backing up (she’s never done one …) her data in Safe Mode and trying to get some homework done (she’s got Gigs of pics and videos- so it’s going to be a while). My plan is to remove the video drivers next.

Here are her specs (it’s an old gaming rig of my brother’s)

Windows XP SP2 (updated)
AMD 2600+ (the 256k cache version)/ 333FSB. Not overclocked.
512 Corsair XMS PC2700 C2.
ASUS A7N8X Rv2 (NOT the deluxe)
WD 60GB/2MB cache.
MSI Ti4200 video card.

Wow- a lot of questions here –

1. If you have any good ideas or suggestions, please post.
2. Am I on a fool’s quest running down drivers or just try to Repair (if I can)? Reformat?
3. If I go to Repair, her original CD is like Win XP SP0. I have a full Win XP SP2 install CD- can I use it to repair instead?

Thanks –

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    Finish the backups first, but I would try uninstalling the Video Card in Safe Mode, reboot, then see if it will start normally and re-detect the card.

If that's no help, do the same thing but this time uninstall everything in Device Manager you can.

It appears to be driver related. I know this refers to Win2K, but it should hold true for WinXP as well. By blowing out all your devices it will (hopefully) force Windows to properly rejigger things.
    Oriane wrote:
    1. If you have any good ideas or suggestions, please post.
    2. Am I on a fool’s quest running down drivers or just try to Repair (if I can)? Reformat?
    3. If I go to Repair, her original CD is like Win XP SP0. I have a full Win XP SP2 install CD- can I use it to repair instead?
    1. I did. :D
    2. The reason I suggested trying the Video Card first is that it is often the culprit. The next step of forcing Windows to re-detect all the hardware saves you the hassle of hunting down the stinker at random.
    3. You should be able to do that, unless one is WinXP Pro and the other is WinXP Home.

Good luck. :)
  • OrianeOriane Turn around.
    edited September 2005
    :thumbsup:

Thanks!
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    I assume that means it's fixed. What did you do to get it working? :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Oriane,

The problem you've described makes me wonder if the root problem was not the computer shutting off midstream, but rather already unstable drivers. WinXP's NTFS file system is very resilient. Once you get the system running, it would probably be wise to uninstall/reinstall other device drivers as well. Ensure that you use newer drivers. Also, make sure that the computer has the appropriate WinXP updates from MS.
  • OrianeOriane Turn around.
    edited November 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    I assume that means it's fixed. What did you do to get it working? :)

Oh my- sorry- I had to get back to/caught up with school. But I know people appreciate the feedback. Here is my belated post-op report>

First, the video driver was A culprit. I was able to get back into normal mode after I removed it. However, there was more damage than just the video drivers and I wound up uninstalling her Norton Systemworks before I was able to get the system stable enough to work with.

I wound up replacing her HD anyhow since I saw that she was getting pretty cramped. I gave her my 160GB data drive and spent the zero/format/copy time sneaking in a couple of biopsy videos. I also ran out and charged my new 320GB replacement data drive on Dad's card since he was out of town and couldn't do this. :D . I also replaced her Creative with a Lite-on DVD/CDRW my brother was going to sell. I'm having fun threatening Dad about also charging for an X2 system for doing all the work (but I left that as a Christmas hint instead ;D ).
    Leonardo wrote:
    The problem you've described makes me wonder if the root problem was not the computer shutting off midstream, but rather already unstable drivers. WinXP's NTFS file system is very resilient.
    As resilient as it is, Leo, I'm afraid I have my Mom's testimony and no other explanation for the corruption of these files. What I DO like about XP are all the tools you have to fix it with. And thankfully I'm fixing a LOT less since I left Win ME.

BTW- thanks for the tip on being able to use later versions of XP repair though I didn't have to go there.

Well, thanks for the help and Happy Turkey Holiday everyone. :)
  • IamMrRayIamMrRay Otis, MA
    edited November 2005
    oh my, order me one while ur at it (j/k) ;D:thumbsup: