Hard drive going down?

BDRBDR
edited September 2003 in Hardware
Shoot! My 2 week old 80 gig Seagate is making clicky type noises. Somewhat like old hard drives used to make.
Almost like a fan rattle.

Guess I better RMA it while I can.

:mad:

I have never had a hd go bad in the 6 years I've been playing with computers. :wtf:

Comments

• TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Are you using a rounded cable?

The reason i ask is that i have saved several drives with the clicking noice by ju throwing the rounded cables out and use the standard. I´m not saying it WILL work, but something to think of at least.

Backup what you can and do a zerowrite. You should get the software from the manufacturer.
  • BDRBDR
    edited September 2003
    No rounded cables, just regular hd cable.

Now it stopped making noise. Hmmm...

:hrm:
  • BDRBDR
    edited September 2003
    I ran all of Seagates diagnostics on it and it came up free of errors.

I'll take a closer look at it tomorrow.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Thats good to hear but still scary.

If i were in your shoes, i would backup that drive asap.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited September 2003
    If you're not experiencing any actual problems, I suggest you just keep an eye on it, but like Mack' said, a backup would be prudent. A problem may surface, but I suggest giving it a few weeks before you think about RMA'ing it.
  • BDRBDR
    edited September 2003
    Spinner, I ran disk checker on it last night. The thorough version. Then I defragged it this morning. So far I haven't heard any noises, but I'm keeping an eye on it.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited September 2003
    A typical hard drive click, on average is a result of a previously mis-written piece or pieces of data. The clicking sound in that instance is the disk having a spasm over the fact that it thinks a piece of data is in one location on the disk, where it is actually in an another. This was typical IBM75GXP behavier. The ticking was a result of another problem, the ticking on average wasn't actually the thing which damaged the disk, it was a result of the damage. So that particular and quite common problem can be eliminated if a disk check finds no errors.

So for now, I think you're safe. My new Western Digital Raptors every now and again make a noise which could be mis-identified as the dreaded clicking sound, but I'm pretty sure it's perfectly normal behavier. Like I said, keep an eye on it, if everything is still well in a couple of weeks, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Cheers