Anime and learning Japanese

danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
edited September 2003 in Internet & Media
One thing about watching subtitled Anime is that you can learn a few japanese words and what they mean, however, its almost impossible to learn what they are saying, or which Japanese word goes to what english word in a sentance due to the structure and complexity of the Japanese language.

Included in a text file are words I have learned in Japanese and their approximate english translation.

One should also note that translations by different fan subbing services can vary wildly.

Comments

• danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited September 2003
    Sorry about this, stupid edit wouldn't take new edited file:
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited September 2003
    There was this girl in one of my math classes that said she learned Japanese by watching anime.

I never got her number though, otherwise I'd give it to ya, Dan. You two might would hit it off. :D Maybe she'd pop out of a cake for your birthday or something.
    edited September 2003
    Watching subtitled anime does not qualify as learning proper Japanese. Just because she says she knows full Japanese from watching anime doesn't mean anything.

Those are the worst kind of people who think they automatically know a different language just because they watch it with the english subtitles.:rolleyes:

Do a search on google on learning japanese, and you'll find how hard it can be and how complex the language is. There are no personal identifiers in the Japanese language such as You, Him, Them, and so on. A noob learning Japanese would be confused if he walked up to someone talking to another because he wouldn't know who they were talking about. You have to listen to the context of the story.
    edited September 2003
    The worst kind of people? ;D
    How about I meet you have way and say they're just evil? But let's keep things like "worst" reversed for sub-humans like Bin Laden.

(Yeah, ok, really crappy joke. I know, I know.)
    edited September 2003
    Or, how about those kind of people can be annoying? I haven't met someone like that though. But, I have met someone who thinks dubbed anime is better than subtitled anime. That is <i>very</i> annoying considering I couldn't convince him otherwise.

Oh, I have the last volume (episodes 11, 12 and 13) of Burn Up Excess: Case of the Black Diamonds. It has the original Japanese Dialogue as well as english and spanish dialogues. It has english subtitles when viewing the Japanese dialogue. The subtitles stay on when switching to english or spanish dialogues.

When listening to the english dialogue with the subtitles translated from Japanese, it shows just how much the script was changed for the english dialogue. That is the main reason why I dislike dubbed anime.
    edited September 2003
    I'm not a fan of anime, but if I had to watch it I'd much rather watch dubbed than subtitled.

Now, if I were a fan and was used to the characters and storyline, then subtitled might seem better.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    If you want to learn Japanese, you can do it on your own. I've been learning Japanese for about three years now, self-taught. One of the keys to learning the language is to learn the kana at the same time. The written character is closely tied with the spoken word, and if you can memorize the written character, you will have a better relationship with the spoken word.

My kids want to learn Japanese, and so I let them watch kids anime that has no subtitles or overdubs. They watch probably 1-2 hours of Japanese-only anime a week. They are not by any means speaking Japanese yet, but they understand (as it is very easy and effortless for all young children) the flow and the meter and the rhythm of the language. My 5 year old can "fake" pidgin Japanese VERY convincingly. He's saying complete nonsense, of course, but to a person who knew nothing of the language, it would sound like he's firing off fluently. He knows a few phrases, and one time we went to a Japanese grocery store and he was talking with a couple of guys, in "Japanese" and they were just cracking up. I have no idea what he was saying, so maybe he knows more than I think he does :)

At any rate, if you want to learn Japanese, forget the TV and turn to the books. You need an audio program, and a hiragana book to start. Then learn the katakana, and then start "reading" children's books or middle school literature that is written in Furigana. Furigana is written in kanji but has tiny kana characters next to each kanji so that you can learn how to pronounce it. Since a native doesn't truly learn Kanji until age 20 or so, you're gonna have to get cracking :)
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    I am a fan of anime, but I'm a fan for the stories and cocepts that the medium usually presents. Thusly, if It's done well, then I prefer a dubbed version, because it lets me pay more attention to the story being presented. I can keep my eys more on the action and the characters, and less on the bottom of the screen. I also have found that when an anime film or series is dubbed the translation is usually clearer, and less literal, and I also prefer that.

I've also met people who believe that anyone who watched anime with any translation is missing the whole point of the medium, and that they shouldn't watvh it at all if they're not willing to learn the language.

It's a personal preference. To tell me I'm wrong would be like telling me that I'm wrong because I can't stand strawberry flavored ice-cream.
    edited September 2003
    Cookies and Cream rules!!!
    edited September 2003
    a2jfreak said
    Cookies and Cream rules!!!

Amen to that!!!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Mint chocolate chip.

...Topical digression!
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    please continue the ice cream discussion here ;)
    edited September 2003
    You know whats even more crazy:

Best Buy places Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda in the anime section and not the Sci-Fi section. I think its due to who releases the DVD's for the TV series, which is ADV Films.

The ones who has such releases as:
    All Purpose Cultural Cat-Girl Nuku Nuku
    Burn Up Excess
    Angelic Layer
    Cutey Honey
    Dirty Pair Flash
    Excel Saga
    Golden Boy
    Neon Genesis Evangelion
    Rurouni Kenshin
    Sailor Moon
    You're Under Arrest
    among tons of other actual anime
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited September 2003
    From years of watching subtitled Anime, I've only figured out that "Nani?!!" means "What?!!"

Once I finish my enlistment next month and go back to college, I'll take Japanese.
    edited September 2003
    How long have you been watching anime? I've been into watching subtitled anime since around May of this year.
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited September 2003
    I started back in 1991 when I was in Colombia. One of the mega popular kids shows at the time was a japanese anime called "Super Campeones," (Super Champions) a show about people playing soccer that had all sort of super cool moves and shots. Combine soccer, heroes, villians, super cool moves, and you can guess why it was so popular in Colombia. They sold video tapes (in Beta, VHS was brand new in Colombia at the time) dubbed and subtitled (I bought the ones subtitled in English). They had poster books that you would buy special card decks to place into their respective position into the books. Kids would trade their cards and a having a complete book made you the kid on the block. Even Coca Cola in Colombia issued these mini commerative bottles with the Super Campeones characters on them during the Copa Libertadores de América football tournament in 1992, when the show was still very popular.

EDIT: should also mention that there was a Super Campeones video game for the NES that was also very popular. It had an RPG interface. You'd move the ball along the field, and when you met a defender, it was treated as an "encounter". You'd see the guys power level, your own power level, and you'd get a menu where you could select pass, try to get around him, a super move (super pass, super shot on goal, etc). An announcer would say whether you succeded or not and you'd see the animation.

Each move would delete a certain amount from your power level. Certain players had "combo" moves, that if they were both on the field, they could get together to do super kicks on goal. The players you used the most would have a pretty low power level at the end of the half, and you'd have to rest them so that their power level could get back to max in time for the endgame. The most powerful players had power levels of around 700-900, and their super moves could use up 75-90 points. Combo super moves could take 100-140. Some players had impossible-to-block kicks on goal that used up 3 or 400 points. Of course each character in the show was represented, had his signature moves from the show (for offense AND defense). That game was AWESOME
This discussion has been closed.