I need a QUIET hsf!

BDRBDR
edited September 2003 in Hardware
Ok guys. I had to replace a hsf that wasn't making good contact, and all I had to throw on there was a crappy, but free, ThermalTake hsf.
It's keeping it cool enough (barely), but it's too darn loud!

So, I need some suggestions for a hfs that has good cooling capablites, but is under 30 decibels.

I use CoolerMasters on most of other towers, but 'd like something with a little more cooling power. (Water cooling is not an option an this time)

Comments

• BDRBDR
    edited September 2003
    dayem... where's the spellchecker? ;D
  • GarethGareth Wales
    edited September 2003
    Well if you have a P4 CPU it has to be a Zalman 7000cu.
    If it's an AMD CPU..... pass !
  • BDRBDR
    edited September 2003
    Oops... there's something besides AMD?

:D

j/k

It's an AMD.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    If it's an AMD CPU, you're already a leg up on the competition.

MCX-462v is VERY good at providing quality cooling at low CFMs. A Thermalright SK-7 with a Mechatronics 53.1 CFM is good and quiet also.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited September 2003
    Gareth said
    Well if you have a P4 CPU it has to be a Zalman 7000cu.
    If it's an AMD CPU..... pass !

There is now an AMD supporting version of that heatsink. The 7000ACU or ALCU.

There is a review here at short-media, on the main page. I own one, and can highly recommend it. I suggest though you check motherboard compatability before hand though. Saying that however, my NF7-2 v2.0 wasn't compatible, because the capacitors were to close the CPU socket, but I got round it by modifying the retainer clip slightly.

Either way, it sounds like just the heatsink you're after.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Nothing beats the good old Alpha 8045. Still close to be the king of all Heatsinks. A mess to install though.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited September 2003
    What motherboard? The reason I ask is that the Thermalright SLK-900 is one of the best (if not the best) socket a heatsink around, but the "U" version doesn't fit all boards.

Anyhow, here's a list, ranked roughly from highest performing to lowest:
    Thermalright SLK-900a, SLK-900u
    Thermalright SLK-800a, SLK-800u
    Swiftech MCX-462
    Alpha Pal 8045
    Thermalright SK-7
    Thermaltake Silent Boost

Coolermaster makes a silent heatpipe thing, but I've used them, and wouldn't trust them with anything much over a 2100...

Anyhow, you'll need fans for all of the heatsinks I listed except the Thermaltake, and depending on how quiet you want, there are some good choices:

Sunon KD1209PTB2-6 92mm, 40-odd cfm, 35dba. It's much quieter than it's dba rating suggests... one of my favorite 92mm fans.

Thermaltake SmartFan2 80mm, adjustable from like 20cfm to 75 via a thermistor or a control knob

Vantec's 92 & 80mm Stealths

If you're not overclocking the system, an 80mm stealth on an SK-7 will be more than sufficient. Keep in mind that a stock amd hsf pushes <20cfm (for all of them) and is either an aluminum/copper hybrid, or solid aluminum. Going to a solid copper heatsink with a 27cfm fan is going to make a major difference, even if it doesn't run it within 2 degrees of room temperature ;)
  • BDRBDR
    edited September 2003
    Asus A7n8X dlx.

As you cans see, the capacitors sit very close to the cpu clips, so I need something that will fit in those confines.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited September 2003
    The SLK-900U will not fit on the A7N8X Deluxe. The SLK-900A, however should (I'll test it later on if I remember... I've got an unused A7N8X-Deluxe and the 900A is on the NF7, so I just have to unclip it...). I think all the other heatsinks I listed will fit... The Swiftech and the Alpha may not... I've never used either one, so I don't know for sure, but both SLK-800s, and the SK-7 will fit for sure, and the SLK-900A should as well.

//Edit
    Now that I think about it, I'm not sure about the SLK-800U either. Stay away from the "U" versions of thermalright's heatsinks and you should be fine, though.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    My favorite 80mm fan is the YS Tech FD1281259B
    47cfm and 37dB
    I have two on SK-7's, not as good as the 900's
    But it lets an old TBird run 1.6

If you want quieter YS makes a '1281255' 35 cfm at 28dB
  • astroworpastroworp Northridge, CA
    edited September 2003
    the new thermalright slk-947U is supposed to be real good about fitting motherboards, and i believe the performance is as good or better than the slk-900U. you should be happy with throwing a quiet pabst/nmb/panaflo 92mm fan on it.
  • edited September 2003
    BDR said
    Ok guys. I had to replace a hsf that wasn't making good contact, and all I had to throw on there was a crappy, but free, ThermalTake hsf.
    It's keeping it cool enough (barely), but it's too darn loud!

is this a 60mm hsf? what other hsf units do you use on your other machines?
  • edited September 2003
    BDR, I was using a SLK800 on my A7N8X when I had that board in service. It fit well and you can run a fairly quiet fan on it and still have good cooling. Also, a MCX462+ should fit it with no problems. I have 1 of those running on another rig and clearances should be no problem. The only bad thing about the Swiftech is that it needs a fan with the directional fins on it like the focused flow Delta 80's or the Vantec Tornado. There is 1 focused flow Delta that is pretty quiet; I have 3 of them and they aren't objectionable at all. The only place that has those Delta fans that I've found is sidewindercomputers.com and they are a tad expensive.