XVID Vs DiVX

danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
edited September 2003 in Internet & Media
I'm not sure about this, but it seems XViD is better than DiVX.
The most noticeable thing is that it converts to DVD without any problems compared to DiVX.

I have noticed also by looking at the file properties that it seems the organizations that subtitle anime (such as AnimeOne, AniKeep, and AnimeJunkies) that is airing in Japan that they all have switched from encoding with DiVX to encoding with XViD. Is there a major advantage in using XViD?

Comments

• a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited September 2003
    I think xvid is OpenSource, but I'm not sure. Many people have a problem with closed-source software and would prefer to use something that's open.

Also, there is "free" software and there is "free" software. Something about free as in speech and free as in beer.
    I'm thinking free as in speech means the source is open and free as in beer means the user is able to use the software for free.

There are many OpenSource licenses.
    BSD
    GNU
    MIT
    I think X has a license too that is like BSD or MIT. Only two licenses I'm really familiar with is BSD and GNU. I don't like the GNU license. Some things about it are fine, but others give me reservations. I'd prefer to write my own license. :)
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Il quote Thrax in his VERY informative XViD Ripping Guide
    DiVX is fine, but you have to pay for it or allow Gator (Hiss) onto your system should you wish to access the pro features. The pro features are already included for free on XViD. Furthermore, the pro features are required to produce the quality that XViD is capable of without them. I've had my fun with DiVX and it's now obviously poor frame quality and size/quality ratio. DiVX tends to produce blocky video at bitrates whereas XViD does not. After all this ragging, you'd think DiVX is the worst thing ever, but it really isn't. DiVX is a quick-and-dirty solution to produce acceptably small downloads with reasonable viewing quality. XViD is a codec designed exactly for what we're doing here: making high quality video in MPEG4 format a reality.

It's a great read :) .. if you really want to get into the pros & cons, drop him a PM. He's helped out plenty of folks to nail it :thumbsup:
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited September 2003
    No wonder why the most recent anime that has been available is so crystal clear (recorded from TV in Japan, subtitled, then placed on KaZaA or Bittorrent). XViD does have much better quality, and includes DiVX Pro's features.

A few examples of anime currently airing in Japan that has been encoded with XViD, and has perfect quality (none of them are over 225MB for a 24 minute episode):

Onegai Twins
    Naruto - season 2
    Narutaru
    Ikkitousen

//EDIT//
    These anime series are also at the resolution of 640x480.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited September 2003
    Just imagine, you could use the wonderful .mov format Apple loves to push and the file would be a teeny-tiny 1GB.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited September 2003
    a2jfreak said
    Just imagine, you could use the wonderful .mov format Apple loves to push and the file would be a teeny-tiny 1GB.

:eek2: LOL
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Get a build of XViD from later than July, enable 2 pass XViD, VHQ Mode 4 on both passes, Qpel on both passes, MPEG modulated, 2 Bframes, and then FPU iDTC on the input and you'll get one sharp-as-hell XViD output.

You'll also have to get the "XViD Bitrate Calculator" to check the file size. Set it to about 250-350 (Preferably 350) for 30 minutes and use the resultant value in the 2 Pass - 2nd Pass Int. box.

And if you guys ever need help converting from a DVD source (Or high-quality mpeg2 (SVCD)), you guys can always ask me about settings and whatnot. I'll be glad to help.