Help needed w. Qwest DSL and Diamond DSL642WLG

CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
edited October 2005 in Science & Tech
First let me state that I'm not a DSL guy, I'm a cable internet guy. I like cable because it's plug n' play.....plug in the wire and commence to teh play.

My mother, god bless her, just got DSL service hooked up, Qwest w. "MSN Premium"...whatever that means. Anyway, I bought her a Diamond DSL642WLG, which is a DSL modem, 4 port router, and Wireless G Gateway all in one. I hooked everything up, plugged it into the wall, ran the config. and received less than ideal results. There are three LED's on it that matter, WAN, WLAN, and INTERNET. WLAN is lit, WAN is sometimes lit, INTERNET came on just once. I've run the config tool for Qwest, and tried to adjust settings within the router's web interface. I'm kind of at a loss as I don't know WHAT in there to adjust. I am using PPoA with the U/P that the dude from Qwest tech support provided, beyond that, he was mostly useless and suggested I get in touch with the modem manufacturer to see what they can tell me (email sent).

Mom's running Win98 and IE, if that helps at all. I'm not able to ping any external websites, but can comm. with the gateway .

That's my story....I welcome all suggestions.