Handheld Storage: Compact Flash or Secure Digital?

NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
edited June 2003 in Hardware
I am looking into getting a handheld and have a question about external storage. The model I am looking at is the Dell Axim X5. It has two types of external storage that I can choose from. The first is Secure Digital storage. From the size of the port this seems to be the normal type of storage that you use in digital cameras and MP3 players. It is pretty small and compact. The other type of storage is a Compact Flash Memory card. This is a little bit larger than the Secure Digital sticks and goes into the flash slot of the handheld. The question I have is which is better? Is one type better than the other or does it really make a difference? My dad says that they use the Compact Flash cards at work since most newer lap tops have ports for them and they have desktop adapters too. That would be nice but the only downside I see is that I'd have to remove the stick from my Flash port if I wanted to use something such as a wireless network adaptor. If I had information on my Flash stick that I needed while browsing the internet via the wireless adaptor I could not have them both at the same time. If I went with the Secure Digital it would fit into its own port and would not get in the way of any other peripherals. The Secure Digital sticks are also half the size physically as the Compact Flash cards. Anyhoo if someone could bounce some ideas and opinions off of me that'd be great.

Norge

Comments

• mcwcmcwc Vancouver, BC Member
    edited June 2003
    You can refer to this thread.
    http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=338
    The thread starter, iDunno, asked a similar question about SD and CF but it was for a digital camera, and he does has a Axim PDA.

I, myself, would with with the compact flash.
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    Thanks for the link to the other thread and the link to the Dell site. The page on Dell was the exact one I was looking at as a matter of fact. The other thread seems to be leaning more towards the Compact Flash over the Secure Digital. One reason is because of the larger storage capacity. Another reason is because it is compatible with other things. I've decided that I probably only want a 128 MB stick/card of whichever I go with. This eliminates the need for the 512 and up range of the Compact Flash. Would it still be wise to go with it knowing that? Also someone mentioned that the Secure Digital was the newer of the two types and that it was starting to spread in popularity. If this is true then that sounds better to me since future products will be featuring the Secure Digital ports. One more thing is that most people have said that Secure Digital memory is cheaper. What confuses me is that the Secure Digital memory on the Dell website is more expensive than the Compact Flash. What would be the reasoning behind that?

Well I have rambled on long enough with my questions. Sorry to bombard the thread but I just want to make sure I make the right choice before I spend the money on a memory stick.

Norge
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I have an SD-enabled iPaq, and an SD-enabled digital camera, and I love it. The things are so small and light, and cheap.

Coolest part for me, is I can take pics on my digicam, and pop the SD card into my iPaq for better previews (the LCD on my camera is a bit tiny). Plus, on the iPaq, I can immediately mail/FTP the pictures to my server or whatever. Very cool..
  • edited June 2003
    I would normally suggest CF, but in this case I would think you'd be better off using SD. Like you mentioned, you can/should be able to use the CF slot for things like a wifi adapter or a cell phone or camera attachment.

Just my thoughts..
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    Hey thanks a lot to everyone with the suggestions, ideas, and information. After considering everything I think I am going to go with the Secure Digital memory. It is smaller and would leave my Flash port open for other uses. Right now that seems to be my best bet. I can always get a Compact Flash card later if it needs be.

Norge