Asus beep codes?

botheredbothered Manchester UK
edited July 2010 in Hardware
Hi,
My new Asus A8N SLI Premium rarely reboots. It runs very well but if I click restart it shuts down then almost always gives two long beeps and sits there. Then pressing the reset button reboots it ok every time. It has an Award BIOS but I can't find anything that gives info on this beep code.

Comments

• FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited December 2005
    Did you enable the "ASUS Post Reporter" described here:

http://support.asus.com/technicaldocuments/technicaldocuments.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

I looked and all I could find regarding beep codes from Asus is to contact tech support if there are abnormal beep codes. No help, I know, but maybe there is info on the bios makers site. When I get a chance, I'll check and post back.

Good Luck,

Flint

//EDIT//

Check this out:

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

Hope that helps.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited December 2005
    Yeah but the 'reporter' only reports after it posts, the beeps come before that. I can't find anything to tell me what two long beeps mean.
  • edited December 2005
    I get similar issue on my asus a8n-sli system. I first noticed it after I installed quake3, and attempted to do reset to finish install. (didn't have any problems with q4, or doom3, but everytime I run quake3, and restart, it gives 2 long beeps.

http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/post-beep-codes.htm

I have phoenix - AwardBios v6.00pg
    ASUS A8N-SLI ACPI BIOS Revision 1014

I've been using cpu-z to get information out of my system, and it looks like my memory modules are mis-matched. Not sure yet though.

http://www.cpuid.com/

My system specs A8n-sli, amd 3700+, evga 7800gt, 2*512 pc3200

I'm working on updating my nvidia nforce4 chipset driver right now.

Please lemme know if you come across fix for this dual beep reset! :thumbsup:
  • edited December 2005
    2 long beeps usually means ram not found... Try reseating your ram or moving it to different slots.
  • edited December 2005
    I see that on my 1st memory slot, the frequency is 200mhz, and the CAS# latency is 2.5

on my second slot, the frequency lists 166mhz CAS# latency 2.5 and frequency 200mhz CAS# latency 3.0 in a second column.

I think my second chip is of lower quality, mismatched to first slot.
  • edited December 2005
    If you leave the ram timings to auto the mobo will set the lower cas ram to the slower, looser timings. Just don't try to do the timings manually.
  • edited December 2005
    Yes, you are exactly right, when I used auto, it set memory to 333, and I overode it with manual setting of 400. You definitely know your ramification settings :)

I'll keep it to auto untill I can recoop and buy nice matched set :thumbsup:
  • edited December 2005
    If you want to overclock you might look into some good PC4000 ram that supports DDR500 speeds. It'll allow you to run the FSB at 250 with the ram 1-1 at the very least.

Good luck!
  • edited March 2006
    bothered wrote:
    Hi,
    My new Asus A8N SLI Premium rarely reboots. It runs very well but if I click restart it shuts down then almost always gives two long beeps and sits there. Then pressing the reset button reboots it ok every time. It has an Award BIOS but I can't find anything that gives info on this beep code.

hello,
    I've got the exact same problem. A8N-SLI Premium gives 2 long beeps from time to time. Monitor is blank. Nothing more happens. When I power it off and then on its okay.
    This situation happens always after recovering from hibernation (Windows XP PRO SP2 ENG).
    As for RAM: I've got 2x1GB GEIL Dual Channel Pack. RAM seems fine and working.
    Did you manage to solve your problem? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Best regards,
    Piotr (from Poland)
  • BelsariusBelsarius Charlotte
    edited July 2010
    I have a A8N-SLI SE that I have had for almost 3 years and today it decided not to post but it does give me one long beep and three short beeps. Does anyone know what this code is? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Memory problem or CPU.

Remove all memory and test 1 stick at a time to see if the pattern changes.
  • BelsariusBelsarius Charlotte
    edited July 2010
    Thanks I already did that I also removed all cards and checked to see if they were the problem and they weren't. I am guessing the MB is shot but I just want to verify. I appreciate your help.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Belsarius wrote:
    Thanks I already did that I also removed all cards and checked to see if they were the problem and they weren't. I am guessing the MB is shot but I just want to verify. I appreciate your help.

Did you try reseting the BIOS via jumper or battery just for good luck?

I just checked Asus' website, the pdf manual refers to a beep code table but it doesn't exist. I even translated the Chinese manuals and they aren't in there either.

If it is an AMI BIOS it's your memoy
    If so...
    http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml
    You've probably just added memory to the motherboard since this is a conventional or extended memory failure. Generally this is caused by a memory chip that is not seated properly. Reseat the memory chips.

It's hard to tell though. The A8N-SLI Premium is AWARD BIOS. I checked that manual, and guess what .. no beep codes.

Do you have the printed manual that came with your motherboard? That would probably have the answer. Or if you can find out what type of BIOS you have, and if AWARD what version, we can look up the beep codes.
  • Hi there.
    Maybe you can help me ... I have an Asus P5LD2 mainboard that makes no sound at all and just starts fans for less than 1/4 sec.
    I've disconnected sata, pata and I have no other pci cards than pci-e graphics card.
    If I disconnect graphics card or memory the mainboard beeps, but if I connect them it does not work at all.
    Does anyone know which can be the problem?
    Thanks.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Hi there.
    Maybe you can help me ... I have an Asus P5LD2 mainboard that makes no sound at all and just starts fans for less than 1/4 sec.
    I've disconnected sata, pata and I have no other pci cards than pci-e graphics card.
    If I disconnect graphics card or memory the mainboard beeps, but if I connect them it does not work at all.
    Does anyone know which can be the problem?
    Thanks.
    Do you have another GPU/compatible memory you can test (as it does not appear to have on-board video)? You may have a failing GPU, memory, PSU, motherboard, or CPU (probably in that order). So, if possible, you should test the components in another system and test "new" components in this one.