Karaoke Software

edited December 2005 in Internet & Media
I'm pretty sure that this can go here. I need a karaoke version of the song Stacy's mom. I have a .mp3 file of that song on my hard drive and I was wondering if you guys know any good free karaoke software which I can use to rip the music of the song without the words. I need the music from the song as I have to perform the song in my chemistry class. If there isn’t any good free karaoke software, is there any place I can download the karaoke version of the song. I did found it at a site but it makes me pay 18 bucks for the music and I don’t think chemistry class is worth that much. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited December 2005
    I am skeptical of any software that claims to be able to do this, because it is a very tricky process. Sometimes it ends up muting the audio too much and you lose some of the music as well. Other times the vocals remain with some odd distortions.

I don't know of any free software to do this (well, I saw one item at Download.com but it was poorly rated in user reviews) and most pay software is going to cost as much or more as the karaoke site.

Dexter...
  • zakalwezakalwe Estonia New
    edited December 2005
    Sound engineers would probably kill me for this trivia, but I try to be as simple as possible.

I think Dexter is quite right here.
    When you think of a single mp3 (or .wav) of a song, you may think of it as a mixdown of individual instrumental/vocal tracks. I guess what you would need for easy editing is a studio session file with individual tracks, so you could just 'mute' the vocal track (but those files are not available in public). I haven't seen software that can take a mixed/compressed audio file and redo individual instrument tracks from it. Well, that doesn't mean such software may not exist.
    When it comes to muting one track in the mix, what you probably can do with available audio editing programs is take down specific frequences that make up vocals, but as we're talking about frequency RANGES here, it affects other tracks too, so the overall quality is (severely) lowered, up to the point that the song itself is quite unrecognizable. I guess there might be specific karaoke software, that can handle vocals only, and do it well, but specific software is usually expensive (or with very limited capacity if it's free/demo version)
    So as Dexter recommended, I'd go for this 18 dollars to save time, trouble and maintain quality.
  • edited December 2005
    Well one of my partners neighbors was a professional at this kind of stuff and he helped us. we just got a mp3 version of the file and then edited it so we got most of the words of then we recorded our voices on top of it so u couldnt hear the words of the orignal one. it worked out great. i did find some midi files that were karaoke of the song but they were so distorted that it wasnt worth using then. thanks for the help, and our project was the second best in class so it was great.