XBOX help

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited October 2003 in Gaming
We were playing some HALO when it suddenly wouldn't work.. the system stars upa nd all, even plays back music stored on the HDD, but when we put in ANY DVD game or movie it won't recognize it. It's been doing this alot since I first got it(refurb'd) but before I would just reinsert the DVD and it would work for a while. Now it won't do it at all.

So far I have switched the ribbon cables out, took apart the DVD-rom and cleaned it up dut and all, cleaned the lens carefully, and stuff, no dice though.

Any ideas? Maybe I can buy a new DVD-rom for it somewhere? What kind? Where?

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Well I just did some more work on it. I spliced the Power Cable and put on my Lite-On DVD-ROM in the XBOX. The XBOX never turned on completely, it powered up, but never went past the initialization screen, I couldn't even open the DVD-ROM but it was getting power properly it appeared.

I heard that only certain DVD-ROM's work with XBOX, I have like the original and stuff, so... what and where can I buy one?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Well went out and bought a Y-Splitter and put that on, it seemed to fix the issue. However, CD's and DVD's still can't be read.

Perhaps it is time, time to install Linux....
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    If you subscribe to the Xbox Live service, patches are being automatically downloaded that disable the most common hacks for enabling the running of linux on an xbox.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    I dont do the XBOX live crap :)
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited September 2003
    I believe what you are looking for can be found here.

http://www.xbox-scene.com/tutorials.php?t=0,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Yea, that is the site I Have been using to figure this stuff out. But it seems that I cannotf ind a tutorial that will allow me to read any original DVD's, only the Backups or something like that.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited October 2003
    I would say you best chance at finding the answer is to post a messsage on the xbox-scene boards. There are a lot of smart fellas in there (along with a lot of dumb ones too) that should have an answer for you immediately. They have helped me with quite a few different issues.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited October 2003
    http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/dvddrive.php

Thats the one you want. Im gonna do this mod for sure. Ittl even allow ya to read cd-r. Great for divx backups you already have on cd-r.

You cannot replace the original drive, only add an additional drive.

And with a little creativity you could prolly make your second drive removable.

//edit: sorry I was wrong. You cannot read the originals with this method.