Service pack 2 nightmares

MountainDewMountainDew Kentwood, MI
edited December 2005 in Science & Tech
Hey guys

im installing service pack 2 on a newly built machine and im having some trouble.

first off, its a AMD 64bit sempron, 1 gig of generic ram, and an 80 gb sata hard drive.

windows xp install went fine (is windows 64bit edition a good idea?)
installed updates, yadda yadda, installed service pack 2.
it installed fine, and at the end it asked to restart. i restarted, and as soon as the windows xp screen shows up it restarts. :scratch:

it will boot in safe mode, in which ive uninstalled service pack 2, but that does me no good.

oh, and a second problem seemed to arise....after a while of messing with it, i figured id just reinstall windows....but when i go to install, it says theres no hard drive installed. the sata hard drive shows up in the bios but not for windows...

any ideas? :confused:

Comments

• sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited December 2005
    That sounds very familiar... I had the same problem the first time I tried to install SP2 with my new DFI NF3 motherboard. Someone just told me that some computers just don't like SP2 and doesn't install. I've been fine without it!
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    ...after a while of messing with it, i figured id just reinstall windows....but when i go to install, it says theres no hard drive installed. the sata hard drive shows up in the bios but not for windows...

any ideas? :confused:
    Are you hitting F6 when you see the prompt at the bottom of the screen for adding drivers when you begin the installation? You'll need a floppy with the SATA driver on it.
  • MountainDewMountainDew Kentwood, MI
    edited December 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Are you hitting F6 when you see the prompt at the bottom of the screen for adding drivers when you begin the installation? You'll need a floppy with the SATA driver on it.

is there any possibility of not using a floppy? id hate to go buy a pack....it seems so....90s..... :rolleyes:

if not, ill give it a go and see if i cant get this thing runnin

thanks for the replys guys
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Unfortunately you DO need a floppy drive to load the SATA drivers if the chipset does not have native support :(

Edit:// Just seen you said XP-64! To the best of my knowledge, XP-64 does not need SP2. That's for the 2600 build of XP (32bit Windows) and not the later build (carried over from Windows 2003 server) that is XP-64! :eek:
  • IDoAsIPleaseIDoAsIPlease I guess here for now
    edited December 2005
    That sounds very familiar... I had the same problem the first time I tried to install SP2 with my new DFI NF3 motherboard. Someone just told me that some computers just don't like SP2 and doesn't install. I've been fine without it!

CONCUR!!!! I DO NOT use SP2 either, all works GREAT!