Valve Supports 64bit CPU

SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
edited December 2005 in Science & Tech
For those of you running with a 64-bit capable AMD processor, along with the Windows 64-bit operating system, Half-Life 2 and Lost Coast are now available in native 64-bit versions. Steam will automatically detect your OS and run the appropriate version the next time you run these games.
"AMD Athlon 64 FX processors are targeted for systems designed to provide the ultimate experience for a new generation of power users running demanding applications " said Bob Brewer, corporate vice president, Desktop Division, AMD’s Microprocessor Solutions Sector. "Combining the performance of AMD64 processors with the 64-bit version of Valve’s technology results in advanced and powerful games. This winning collaboration brings customers an amazing product based on the best of AMD64 technology and Valve’s software development."
Source: Steam

Comments

• NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited December 2005
    I was very excited when I found out about this last night since I run an Athlon 64 on Windows XP x64 Edition. Half-Life 2 and Lost Coast did indeed run with "64-bit mode enabled" shown at the top. I'm not sure the performance differences, I looked around but didn't see any new graphics options for 64-bit users. Hopefully Valve's move puts pressure on other developers.
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited December 2005
    did you see any type of Frames per second difference at least? you didnt feel any speed difference? nothin? :(
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    So.... anyone notice a difference with the game in 64bit mode? I read it as saying "Natively 64bit" or something "native" at 64 bit.

DOES IT RUN FASTER!!!!???? ;D
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited December 2005
    It runs a bit faster not much just a few fps.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Perhaps if they optimize it some more they could get the new stuff they made for the source engine run faster on current systems so we can have the DoF and Motion Blur sooner