AMD computer won't boot up

DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
edited January 2006 in Hardware
This morning, my uncle couldn't get his computer to boot up, and I'm not at all familiar with AMDs. Once I opened the case, I smelled ozone so I knew something had fried. I swapped the PSU and still nothing, no lights, nothing whirring so I figure it's the MOBO, a GA-72XE. I'm researching new motherboards that can take a Athlon XP 1800 proc. Any suggestions?

Comments

• edited January 2006
    Does it need onboard video? Also, what formfactor, ATX or mATX?
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited January 2006
    The AGP slot is occupied, I didn't note what Video card it was tho (He's a 15 minute walk down the road) The system is ATX.

Edit// OK, I took a magnifying glass down there and found some serial numbers. The CPU is an Athlon XP 1800, u.13, OPGA, 1.50V, 256KB Cache and it runs at a 266Mhz FSB. The video is an nVidia CM64A TNT2 32MB AGPx(?) and the Ram is a stick of Micron 512 PC133 168 PIN SDRAM
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited January 2006
    That motherboard is rather old and finding one in a shop to replace it with and reuse all of the old parts will be rather difficult. Maybe eBay or a shop that sells refurbished parts? The hard part is going to be a board that supports his ram. If you can also get some DDR to go with it, say PC2100 or better, then the horizon brightens considerably.

Flint