Xbox 360 To Get HD-DVD

SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
edited January 2006 in Science & Tech
Yesterday at CES, Microsoft's VP Peter Moore said that they plan to produce an external disc drive that will read Toshiba's HD-DVD disks. This comes as huge news, as tech critics have slammed Microsoft's lack of including a 'next-gen' DVD player on their system.
Much of the reason for developing the external HD-DVD drive seems to be fueled by Microsoft statistics researched by Penn, Schoen, Berland & Associates. Their research shows 90% of Xbox 360 owners own or intend to purchase an HDTV in the six months, nine out of 10 of the people purchasing an HDTV cite Xbox 360 as the primary catalyst, and 10% of those with an HDTV also purchased an Xbox 360 simultaneously.
Source: Xbox Circle

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I was under the impression that it was the plan from the start to release the 360 with standard DVD support initially and then go to HD-DVD later on. Maybe it was 'understood' but not 'announced' previously.

At any rate, between this and Gates' announcement at CES that Vista will support HD-DVD natively but not Blu-ray, it's pretty obvious where Microsoft stands on this issue.
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited January 2006
    I've read somewhere that they 'could' go with Blu-Ray if it win the 'next gen' dvd player... So i guest they are not realy sure about what they will do lol... Now they keep both doors open :p