Microsoft Delays XP SP3

SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
edited January 2006 in Science & Tech
Bink.nu has an interesting article up on his site concerning Windows XP SP3. Microsoft has apparently pushed back the scheduled release date of SP3 to the second half of 2007. Microsoft executive Steve Ballmer had originally announced that the 3rd service pack for XP would be released before the launch of Windows Vista.

Bink also suggests that we could see a "Rollup Package" coming from Microsoft in the near future for XP, with the possibility of that package replacing SP3 all together.

View: Microsoft delays Windows XP Service Pack 3 @ Bink.nu
2 weeks ago I posted my annual list of what we can expect for this year. WinXP SP3 was also mentioned in the list, I put it in summer 2006 as I had several sources for this, including this official list.

Now it seems Microsoft silently changed the release date to 2007, while the publishing date of the list remains unchanged. Maybe I checked the list before that date, but I'm quite sure I didn't.
Source: Neowin

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Great.... I'm already over 40 patches to SP2. My Patch CD's are getting HUGE and time consuming to run.

A rollup patch would be nice if SP3 doesn't come out soon. I would LOVE to see Microsoft release a rollup twice a year to help IT staff with patching. You listening MS???
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited January 2006
    Yeah a rollup would be nice so I can slipstream into my install cd. It would make creating images just that much faster. I can download the latest xp corp from the dev network but I kinda prefer making my own. Downloading each patch to create one kinda sucks. I think a rollup 3x a year would be a good idea.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    We can't ask too much of Microsoft now guys.... they have enough on their hands.
  • BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I'm not a big fan of Rollups after the Rollup released for Windows 2k SP4. Broke so much software including one I support at work. The only way to kill the sucker is by FFR.