Microsoft Respond To Windows XP SP3 Article

SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
edited January 2006 in Science & Tech
Following up from this recent report concerning an article posted at bink.nu about Windows XP SP3, Microsoft have since responded with a statement.

"Microsoft did not have any prior plans to release SP3 in 2005 or 2006. It was reported almost one year ago that Steve said SP3 “might” ship before Windows Vista; however, since that time the focus has been and continues to be shipping Windows Vista. We are tentatively targeting the second half of 2007 to release XP SP3."
Well I also remember Microsoft France saying that SP3 would be released somewhere in 2006, OK this might also not been an official statement but at least internally it was scheduled for 2006 and so there were prior plans.

I understand that Microsoft is focused on Vista and they are making a great product, but I think about 80% of Windows users don't care yet about Vista, they will be running XP for another few years. I still think Microsoft in a way abandons these windows XP users, administrators and OEM's. OK Sp2 was a huge project to get out the door, but for SP3 combining all post sp2 fixes in 1 convenient pack shouldn't be that hard, specially with the huge participation in beta programs that Microsoft has.
Source: bink.nu

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    There are a couple of unofficial "SP's" for previous versions of Windows which have been cobbled together by outsiders. I can't imagine why MS can't have someone spend a little time to make things easier for their paying customers.

One of the best features of WinXP is the Repair Install option. Ask anyone who has done one and they'll tell you that the worst part of it is downloading the endless little rinky-dink patches afterwards, not to mention all the rebooting involved in installing them... :rolleyes:
  • edited January 2006
    Is there any word on when MS plans to release Vista?
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited January 2006
    TheSmJ wrote:
    Is there any word on when MS plans to release Vista?
    Q3 / Q4 this year.