another, should I upgrade?

DonutDonut Maine New
edited January 2006 in Hardware
Okay folks, here it goes.

I currently have an NF7 with a 2400xpm@2300mhz with a gig of cheap ram. This rig is primarily a folding box/ spare parts box and I'm getting the itch to upgrade. My other 2 rigs are duallies and I already have to much invested in them. that's why the Xp machine is on the chopping block.

I'm looking for bang for the buck also looking to reuse my ram and AGP card IF possible, (maybe psu also?)

I'm starting to lean toward the Asrock combo that the SMJ posted about in another thread, but I'm open for suggestions\opinions. I had also thought about waiting until the M2 socket was released but that probably close any options of a socket 754(?) combo.

Right now I'm only window shopping (unless a fantastic deal falls in my lap), until I get back to work. I really haven't kept up with the A64's that's why I'm asking. If I end up waiting to long, I might splurge on another dual opty.

Looking around on Newegg and misc forums has left me :crazy:

Thanks.

Comments

• reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
    edited January 2006
    for dual core, the cheapest is probably a dual opty, the 3800+ is much more expensive.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited January 2006
    Thanks reelbigfish,
    Originally I was leaning toward another dual-proc. rig. (If I run into some LV xeons I still might). but with dual core, why? I'm currently watching a couple dual cores on E-Bay, we'll see what happens. Heck I even had a bid in on a Pentium M!

Dual procs. w/dual core, way out of my price range. (but it would be fun)
  • edited January 2006
    Donut, if you want to reuse your ram and vid card, see if you can find an Epox EP-9NDA3+ mothboard anywheres. I have both the 9NDA3+ and the Asrock Dual SATA2 boards and the Epox is a better choice for not too much more money than the Asrock. It has much better options in bios (not so much on voltage options, but still better than the Asrock, but has much better ram timing selections in bios). That's if you decide to go AMD that is. You can also go with the DC Intel procs, which are cheaper but are power hogs and need top end air cooling to overclock significantly. Plus, you would have to upgrade to DDR2 and PCI-e to go DC Intel. Last, you say you bid on a Pentium M; that's also a nice way to go. I've built 2 desktop machines so far with Pentium M procs and they both made some snappy, responsive machines and are very easy to get good overclocks on too. One machine is using the P4C800E-Dlx and the other I just built a couple of weeks ago is using the P4P800SE and both boards are a great basis for a P-M desktop and both can adjust multi's in bios (downwards only like an A64). On my machine (P4C800E-Dlx) I'm running a P-M 730 1.6/533 at 200X12 with stock vcore. The machine I just built for my brother (P4P800SE) has a new P-M 740 1.73/553 proc and it's running at 200X11 at stock vcore. His 740 isn't as good an overclocker as my 730 (which I got on ebay for less than $130), which I've had up to around 2800 MHz before at 1.6v vcore.

The little hsf that comes with the Asus CT-479 P-M>P4 card is good enough to do mild to moderate overclocking with on the Pentium M; the P-M isn't a big heat producer at all. That's all I am using on the machine I built my brother and it's temps run around 40 C folding in my computer room, which I keep around 70 F. I'm using a Zalman 7000 Cu on my P-M rig, but you have to do a simple mod to the heatsink clip to use it because of the added height of the CT-479 card in the original board zif socket.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited January 2006
    Thank for the input on the Epox board, hadn't thought about Epox. Dual core Intel is only if I can get one cheap off E-Bay. (the cost of the ddr2 does factor into my decision as the XP rig has a gig of 3200 already) The only reason I'm even considering the Pentium M is how it folds and a google search on overclocking it. I think I read how a person had taken a pair of pliers to bend the power connector out of the way on an Asus adapter card (so an aftermarket heatsink would fit) I'm to lazy to re-read it at the moment, but it is bookmarked

When it's all said and done I'll most likely end up with a dual core Opty.
  • edited January 2006
    Hey, I see that Newegg has the 9NDA3+ back in stock for $96 plus $3.99 shipping. They were out of stock a few weeks ago on them.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited January 2006
    Thanks!:thumbsup:

I'm currently waiting on the outcome of some E-bay stuff, soooo we'll see. (I'd hate to buy an AMD board just to win an Intel proc)

IF I get back to work soon, I might have to convince wifee her computer needs to be upgraded also:rolleyes: