windows acting weird

RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
edited February 2006 in Science & Tech
hey guys,

recently my pc has been acting strangely where the moment it finishes loading the welcome screen and goes into desktop it just hangs. the desktop icons appear at first but suddenly dissapear.. however the start bar is still there and the system tray only shows the time. the mouse is still responding but i cant click on anything except the task manager screen which shows that processes are still running normally with 0 cpu usage. when this happens, usually a restart or two fixes it.. but of late its been becoming more frequent and takes more restarts than usual. when i do boot successfully.. windows operates completely normal.

system : amd athlon 64 3200+, gigabyte K8 triton mobo, HIS Radeon X700, 512mb DDR RAM, windows xp sp2

the only solution i can think of atm is a reformat.. any ideas?

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    windows messing up? You must have a standrd copy like the rest of us.

I would suggest running memtest and some hard drive diagnostics. It may not be windows, but it propably is. If hte hardware checks out then a repair instalation may be in order.
  • edited February 2006
    If you go to start>run>CMD and type in "sfc/scannow" (without the quotes) it will check and all the system files and probably fix your problem
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Memtest and you may also want to check to see if you're infected with spyware. Our SVT (Spyware/Virus/Trojan) Area...
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    windows messing up? You must have a standrd copy like the rest of us.

At the risk of being off topic:

With multiple computers, countless upgrades, all kinks of software -- I've never had instablity with WindowsXP that was caused by XP itself. Problems, when they've occured, have been with half-baked drivers, improperly configured hardware, outdated BIOSes, or software that wasn't ready for prime time. But, with that said, I don't know what the story would be if I didn't keep my systems and registries clean of junk files.