Windows XP won't boot

CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
edited February 2006 in Science & Tech
Guys,

My cousin has a problem with his computer in that it won't boot. He said it was working fine, then herturned it on one time and on the black Windows XP loading screeen the progress bar froze and that was it. It won't boot into safe mode either.

He had a similar problem about three weeks ago. That time the black loading Windows screen basically wouldn't disappear. You could leave it on for about 15 minutes and the greeen progress bar would just keep going. You could boot into safe mode ok. I couldn't do anything with the recovery console then because I didn't have the admin password.

After the first time it happened I reinstalled Windows, put him some antivirus and firewall software on with auto update, so I can't think the now a similar problems re-occurred that it's virus related.

Anybody have any suggestions as it seems silly to reinstall Windows again as it may occur again a few weeks down the line.

Help is greatly appreciated as always.

~Cyrix

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2006
    A couple passes of Memtest-86 would be a good start.

Can you give us more detail on the system specs? MB, amount of RAM, CPU, etc, plus tell us what make & model PSU he's using. :)
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Yes I'll get that info for you. Won't be for a day or two though. Cheers for the speedy reply prof.

~Cyrix