My Next Mod...

GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Hardware
I plan on making a new case basically from scratch for my next mod. I will gut an existing case for the basic structure, and build new front and sides from scratch. I'm thinking of making sort of an open-air type of structure, where there will be a .5" air gap around between each two panels. If I do this, will a front intake fan be useful at all, or will enough air be drawn in through these air gaps that it would be a waste of resources to add a front intake fan?

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I can't get a picture of what you're talking about in my head, but my thought is this: It's nice to have openings for air, but with out fans it still won't be moving very much.

In any case, you could pirate a fan from another system and try it with and without the fan to see if it helps the temperature. If it does, go out and "invest" in another one :)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Well, the debate basically comes down to whether to cut the hole for the fan in the first place... I guess you're right though... I should put the fan in there anyway in order to get the right flow.
  • dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited June 2003
    I dont think its the flow you should be concerned about, however if you have a dusty environment, i recommend an intake fan with a filter to control the dust. Just a thought...

~dodo
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    u should definatly have a duct that leads from the outside of the case right into the cpu...ofcourse put a filer on it and be extra careful not to spill anything....but that goes for all fans now doesnt it
  • dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited June 2003
    WuGgaRoO said
    u should definatly have a duct that leads from the outside of the case right into the cpu...ofcourse put a filer on it and be extra careful not to spill anything....but that goes for all fans now doesnt it

Nice idea! I second the CPU duct.

~dodo