Thinking about a 74GB Raptor

sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
edited February 2006 in Hardware
I'm getting fed up with my system, and I'm ready for a reinstall of Windows. At the same time, I really want to upgrade to a faster (and smaller) hard drive. Currently, Windows is on my Maxtor 250gb 7200rpm drive, and I'm only using 22gb of it (sad and pointless, yes) - the rest is on my 80gb WD backup drive.

So - a much smaller capacity drive would be fine, so the 74GB WD Raptor seems perfect. It would be my first experience with SATA, but I'm sure you guys could help me with any questions I have. So is the raptor fast and reliable? I hear it's everyone's favorite inexpensive drive, but I don't want to lose all my stuff with a crappy drive!

Oh also - how much could I get for a used Maxtor 250gb ATA drive? There's nothing physically wrong with it at all, just a little too slow for me.

Any tips, pointers, experience, answers? Thanks guys :)

Comments

• NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited February 2006
    I'll take your maxtor lol. Are you still gonna be running the 80G hard drive. If its running IDE i'm not sure how an IDE/SATA system would be set up.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited February 2006
    Nightwolf wrote:
    I'll take your maxtor lol. Are you still gonna be running the 80G hard drive. If its running IDE i'm not sure how an IDE/SATA system would be set up.
    Awesome - I'd sell it right away (after formatting for a few days :p)

Yeah I hope I could still run the 80gb WD - anybody else know if that'll work fine?
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited February 2006
    Anyone know if the asus k8v suports SATA. I havent added any hd's since i bought it so i forget.
    edited February 2006
    tmh88 wrote:
    Anyone know if the asus k8v suports SATA. I havent added any hd's since i bought it so i forget.
    Threadjacking

Threadjacking is taking over an [Electronic mailing list discussion] thread with a subject unrelated to the original posting.
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited February 2006
    Awesome - I'd sell it right away (after formatting for a few days :p)

Yeah I hope I could still run the 80gb WD - anybody else know if that'll work fine?

yes you should be fine

make sure you change the boot drives to reflect the SATA before IDE

I am going to be putting togeather a simular setup as soon as i get the parts
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    the raptors are excellent. I've had my first one since they came out. I've booted off of it countless times doing overclocking and stuff and it's still hasn't given out. On this last build I retired it as a backup and bought a brand new one. I guess next I'll go for the 150 and use these two in a raid array who knows.
    edited February 2006
    Okay cool - I'll probably go for that as soon as I have the money.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144160

Grayfox told me that yes I can use the SATA Raptor with the 80gb WD IDE at the same time. :thumbsup:
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    If you are going to do a fresh install on the new drive I would recomend disconnecting the existing drive for the OS install. this will insure that the boot directory goes on the same drive as the OS and not cause problems in the future. Otherwise it is a good move and the new Raptor will provide you with good service and performance. I am currently running 2 of them but not in a RAID-0. I was but determined that I could and do get much better performance with them run separately. I am using one for my OS and everything Windows related, the other for Programs, my 2 Hitachi's are in a RAID-0 for all my files and everything is image backed up on my 200GB Seagate and my 36GB Raptor is solely for my swap file. With this set-up I never have a conflict with the heads of my drives waiting for something else to finish doing something. In your case I would recomend using the Maxtor for either file storage or as a backup.
    edited February 2006
    Thanks for the tips, mtgoat. As it is doing now, I think the WD 80 will be fine as continuing to be a backup drive. I'm planning on selling the Maxtor 250.

Hopefully I can buy that Raptor soon!