Help me convince my wife to try gaming

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited October 2003 in Gaming
We have just a shade over 3 months to convince my wife to at least try computer games to the point where she can stop by the SM LAN in January and hang out with me.

Her excuse: "I don't know how to play the games that you guys are playing"

My response: "Of all the games we'll be playing, the only one that I know how to play are First Person Shooters - and of those, UT is the only one I've played"

So, what does it take to get a girl to try a game?

I'll make her read this thread :thumbsup:

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    She has to stop by :(

Some of us are coming over 3000 miles :eek:

We want to hang out with the woman who makes our primesuspect :D

If she doesn't play .. Il :bawling:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    If there's one person who can pwn me on a daily basis - it's her ;)
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Prime,

Here is what i did with Bente,

Gaming at first was a nogo for her, solitare MAYBE but that was it you know. Then i bought her one of those Puzzle Bobble games on the PS2 for her and she was addicted for life. Then i stepped up to Resident Evil and finally the Silent Hill series. But she refuse to play those games alone which i can understand.
  • BDRBDR
    edited October 2003
    primesuspect said

So, what does it take to get a girl to try a game?

The right game, and a big bribe. ;D
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I don't know any girls who game. Infact I stuggle to find anyone who games........... I am so out of place in this city its freaky..........

NS
  • CuteyPie22CuteyPie22 Lansing, MI
    edited October 2003
    Tell her that there ARE girls who game... if she understands that it's not exclusively a guy's domain, then she'll be more willing to try it out.

hey it worked for me :)
    edited October 2003
    lol @ nightshade..

Hey, at least your city is famous for the sauce :rolleyes:

BDR: Exactly how much are we talking here? ;)
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited October 2003
    hmm...maybe if you set down with her and let her play one of the games, then she can get a feel of it. Like let her play UT with the bots and stuff to begin with, she will get frustrated to begin with because she don't know how to play it. But as she keeps playing it, it will come to her. We got 3 months so I think you can do it, just start slow, and soon she will be hoggin all your bandwidth to play online, hehe
  • BDRBDR
    edited October 2003
    primesuspect said

BDR: Exactly how much are we talking here? ;)

It usually involves diamonds and other sparkly things. ;D
    Some fems just like cold hard cash though. :vimp:

Seriously, you have to find a game that interests her.

No interest = no play.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    My wife will play puzzels and rpgs (she loved mist), but she won't touch an fps. It depends on the person.
    I Know where NS is coming from, I haven't gamed for a long while becouse of no one to play with.
    Prime, set a couple of games upp with shortcuts to the tutorials. Let her walk through them at her own pace without you 'coaching'. Maybe she will find one that is of interest to her.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2003
    There are somre girls that game. The other day I saw a girl playing Diablo 2 on her LT before class started. Act3 btw. Least to saw I was a little surprised, she is double majoring in CET and EET.
    edited October 2003
    As to 'how much is it going to cost' I can give an illustration.
    My wife likes to come up to me in the evening while I am reading. She wil take off her shirt and rub her breasts in my face while she is talking to me about buying something very expensive for her. She calls it the booby trap.
  • BDRBDR
    edited October 2003
    ;D

and it works, doesn't it, edcentric ?

:vimp:
    edited October 2003
    men == stupid
    women == smart
  • edited October 2003
    start her off with a classic like duckhunt and then try a FPS.
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited October 2003
    NightShade737 said
    I don't know any girls who game. Infact I stuggle to find anyone who games........... I am so out of place in this city its freaky..........

NS

Ditto. Kinda.. They play games... just not PC games :\ In fact, most people look down upon PC games where I hang out. :(

It's all going to be about finding a game that pulls her attention :) I suggest an easy RPG, such as Diablo II. Duck Hunt's a good one. That's what I started on :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    You COULD tell her that NO ONE knows how to play a game the first time they play it. It's a learning process. The fact that she doesn't know how to play a game shouldn't stop her from trying. No one knows how to play the first time! :D

//EDIT: I remember getting my ass kicked in Wolfenstein the first couple of times I play. The ORIGINAL wolfenstein.
  • T-BirDT-BirD Montgomery, AL
    edited October 2003
    Templar said
    Ditto. Kinda.. They play games... just not PC games :\ In fact, most people look down upon PC games where I hang out. :(

Silly consolers...real games are for PC's ;) I've found that the games with the most depth are almost always found on PC. The only console medium that comes close is RPG's with great story...or Romance of the 3 Kingdoms - which started on PC.

As for girl gamers, you could point her to that hot or not gamers site with the women listed, or find some girl clans (like qgirlz, pms, or similar). The Team Sportscast Network has several women casters like Trillian, DeeAy, and Blurry, and my quake3 clan leader is a woman too.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited October 2003
    just like with everyone else you have to find her her niche. She may suck at FPS, but could be the next thresh of rts or other such games, help the good woman find her niche, get a few demo games from different genre's and have her play the demo's or walk throughs, she may find something fun. Remember however that women are wired far different then men and gaming ranks pretty low with them..

Gobbles
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Have one night every week where you do something together that one of you wants to do (alternate ;)). Let her go first. She picks something that she likes to do, but you may not know that she likes to do, or that you aren't a big fan of. Then next week, you switch, and she plays some games ;)
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    primesuspect said
    If there's one person who can pwn me on a daily basis - it's her ;)

i know EXACTLY what prime is talkign about :)

as for u r real problem...my gf didnt like video games too much until i introduced her to soul caliber 2...that she loves to play...and thats pretty much it...women r strange folk...they dont lke giving nething new a try.....unless u get her drunk...thats always a good idea...HEY why dont we make this a sm lan party/drink fest?? who is with me?? lol
    edited October 2003
    women do pick up things visually different from men. they require a wider field of view for it to feel realistic. So make sure that she can play on the BIG monitor.

Yes, I fall into the 'booby trap' every time.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    hey prime, maybe u can get her to try this one game on PS2, i forgot what it was called, but it's a game wiht a vibrator connected to it as a controller, ahah
    and we all know it was a japanese game

and on a serious note, my sister games, she loves RTS, she played StarCraft, Broodwar, Warcraft 2, and 3. and she also loves DDR.
    s maybe ur wife can try some RTS, i think women are good with RTS, they got the managment skills.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    It has nothing to do with Smarts or field of view. Women (in general) have a less developed sense of spaciality than men do (this is also why men are generaly better at throwing and catching). Thusly, most women are terrible with FPS games.

This is no slight against women. This is one of those traits that can be traced back to Hunter/Gatherer days. Women make up for this with other skills that men don't have as much of (like color sense, and emotive communication)

With this in mind, introduce a woman to games that have static views, and don't require spacial visualisation first. Then come to terms with the fact that she'll probably NEVER want to play an FPS.

Also, along the same lines, women are better at games that require team work. Try getting her to play Co-op with you in a role playing game (like Diablo). Make sure that you do it in an environment where you can communicate vocally.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited October 2003
    Sorry bro, but I just dont think its possible.

I have been through many a girlfriend and could get NONE of them to play video games. Most in fact considered the PC to be an enemy. I have gotten my current girlfriend to play quake III with me 1 time and she says its too intense. She gets too terrified when she sees me running at her with trusty rocket launcher in hand ready to splatter her corpse all over the walls :) .

I have found its easiest to start them on consoles with games like crash bandicoot or NBA Streets vol 2.

This is a quality I have looked for in a female ever since I first became interested in females. I have come to the disappointing conclusion that said quality doesnt exist :( .

So if you can convince her to play with ya, please let the rest of the world know how you did it.

Good luck!
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    oh, and if you do get her to play...don't utterly destroy her ;)
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Tell her she helps supress the stereotype that her sex doesn't have nerds and that should be good enough.

:vimp:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    You may have better luck with puzzle games or RTS. Try to get her playing Bejewelled and Cubis. Then step up to some RTS's without much conflict, like SC4, Pharoah, The Settlers. Then bump up to WarCraft3 perhaps. Then Diablo II co-op. Then, MAYBE some kind of FPS...