Bizarre Multiple Monitor Mayhem

edited April 2006 in Hardware
I recently got another 21" monitor and after getting an adaptor for a monitor cable I had that was wrong I decided on some dually action. Well, after hooking everything up and firing up the PC I logged in and enabled the second monitor in my nVidia drivers and as the drivers were loading for the display adaptor my PC froze. After it decided to unfreeze I was at 640X480 with 4 colors and I got an error stating that there was a hardware malfunction.

After that everytime I reboot the PC with both monitors attached it does the same thing as the drivers load. I've tried setting the monitors (individually of course) to P'n'P then hooking them up and I still get the same thing.

I'm running the 81.85 WHQL drivers from nVidia so I'd doubt that they're the issue here but who the heck knows. If anyone has any ideas I'd sure love to hear them.

A quick rundown, both monitors work individually, both work on both ports (DVI & VGA) but when both are hooked up wham, problems like a SOB. :scratch:

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Try hooking up 1 monitor at a time to the Graphics card, on each output. see if you get any issues there.
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited April 2006
    have you tryed the new 84.21 drivers?

sounds like a driver problem
  • edited April 2006
    Yes, I've tried one at a time, both work great and I'll try new drivers just to see if that is the problem.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Any luck with the drivers?
  • edited April 2006
    I haven't tried yet, I'm working on reviews right now plus TG site stuff.
  • edited April 2006
    What video card is this specificly?

When the display snapped back to 640x480, were both monitors displaying an image, or just the original monitor?

I'm wondering if it's a power supply issue, but otherwise I'm stumped.
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited April 2006
    I did have that problem with some crappy drivers