Ridding customized My Documents/Videos/Pictures

BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
edited March 2006 in Science & Tech
I've been hunting around the net for a bit now and can't seem to find the answer. Perhaps my fellow shortmedians can help.

Windows XP has this nagging feature which put's the user's name in from of the "My [Folder]" icons. So, instead of seeing "My Pictures" you'll see "Joe's Pictures" or "Abbey's Pictures" depending on who's logged into the computer. I really want to get read of this feature so I see the correct folder name. I want it to say "My Pictures". Same thing with Videos, Documents... the whole package.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Comments

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    If you're referring to the labels in 'My Computer ', I'm not sure you can turn that off since they're essentially symbolic links to the corresponding folders in your profile directory which have the generic names.

Two thoughts:
    First, see if there's an applicable setting in TweakUI. If you don't already have TweakUI, you can get it and the other Windows Powertoys from Microsoft.
    Second, turning on private user profiles may do the same. Private profiles means that one user cannot access another user's folders so only one set of Documents, etc. shows up in My Computer. IIRC this can be found in the Users control panel but if not you will find it under Computer Management in Administrative Tools.

-drasnor :fold: