Short-Media @ The Movies - Silent Hill

ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
edited May 2006 in Science & Tech
Lets face facts here. Movies spawned from games just don't generally work. Doom was terrible, Bloodrayne was awful and Resident Evil made gamers turn away in their droves. Necks twinges and upset wells when ever hollywood and movie studios get an idea into their heads to convert a much loved game into a movie. So Sony Pictures buys up the rights to a much loved Konami (game production studio) game called Silent Hill and many a gamer wonders what fate will befall such a classic series of games. Is it "Doom"-ed so to speak? Or can a movie be made from a game that stays true to the subject matter and instead deliver a great movie that can win over cynical gamers & movie goers alike..?

Read our review of Silent Hill the movie

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Must be something you'll either love or hate, my cousin/roomate says it's not worth but maybe renting someday when you're bored. He went without me grr.... I just dunno if I wana see it. I like DOOM, thought it was pretty good. Especially when destroyer went after that monster! But I wanna see Silent Hill, any movie whom's TRAILER gives me a nightmare has to be worth it.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Doom was crap simply because it bared no similarity to the games other than the name of the movie and what the facility looked like. I use the term facility loosely.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Did a good job to me, the only thing I hated was that it was a virus instead of HELL ;)
    edited April 2006
    The things for me were:

It was a Virus not hell (this is the biggest thing, the whole point of the Doom series was that Hell was spilling over).
    They got there via a Portal they found rather than ship (thus it must also have been set in a completely different time).
    It was a team of marines instead of one.
    They went there to "sort it out" rather than already having been there.
    Women. It was a strict point in Doom that there were no women in/on the facility.
    'The Rock'. The whole 'In your face, I'm a hard-core Marine, grr' was just... a bit lame.
    A few other things I can't think of off the top of my head now.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited April 2006
    I've never played a silent hill game. After reading the review I may have to get one, and see the movie.
    Nice one Shorty.
    edited April 2006
    bothered wrote:
    I've never played a silent hill game. After reading the review I may have to get one, and see the movie.
    Nice one Shorty.

Ditto, problem is, Silent Hill 1 was only on the Playstation and after looking it up, the graphics are.... beyond bad. There is also Silent Hill 2, 3 and 4 now (and 4 is 5 CDs... damn).
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    That's what I was going to ask: All the hype makes me want to go out and play the games before I see the movie, but I wanted to see if it was worth tracking down and playing....
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited April 2006
    There working on a remake on the orignal game but making it more like the movie.

You should check it out once its released.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited April 2006
    The 1st Mortal Kombat movie was good. They should have stopped there though as the second blew.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    i played silent hill 4 through and through... i hated it...its a whole bunch of running around and getting hurt by enemies who cannot be permantly killed (ghosts) the ghosts cannot stay dead unless u put a special saword in em...which there are only 5 of...so when u finally finish the level...u gotta go back and take the sword out and run away ASAP cuz he just needs to be near you to hurt you... that andthe projectiles are complete dung so you gotta use a lead pipe or a bat in order to do damage...the axe is nice too...but if u use a pick axe you gotta wind up...go and make some ramen...then come back to the game and find yourself dead with the dang pitch fork still in mid swing
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2006
    WuGgaRoO wrote:
    ...the axe is nice too...but if u use a pick axe you gotta wind up...go and make some ramen...then come back to the game and find yourself dead with the dang pitch fork still in mid swing
    You just got bytten. :vimp:
    edited April 2006
    saw the movie. enjoyed it. now i guess i need to play the game to make sense of the ending.... i hope ... :-/
  • edited May 2006
    I got back from the movie tonight and I liked it a lot. I really don't understand exactly why it ended the way it did though... maybe someone could clear that up for me?
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited May 2006
    Yeah the end is very weird... I don't know if someone who played all the games will find it weird too.

It seems like a good 'open ending' for a Silent Hill 2 movie tho.
    I introduced @FreshyP to this movie last night :) He loved it.