CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
edited October 2003 in Internet & Media
Thinking about a portable MP3 player. I'd like it to

1. Be small
2. 128 MB minimum (expandable is nice)
3. Durable
4. Wearable

It'd be nice if it could:

1. Pipe music into my car's casette deck.
2. Be powered from the cigarette lighter (LOW priority).

Otherwise, please just share with me what you like to use for a portable player. Thanks!

Comments

• DOSMANDOSMAN Grand Rapids, MI
    edited October 2003
    CaffeineMe said
    Thinking about a portable MP3 player. I'd like it to
    1. Pipe music into my car's casette deck.
    2. Be powered from the cigarette lighter (LOW priority).

Go to your local Radio Shack and buy a headphone-tape adapter. I use it for all kinds of stuff in my car. Although the audio output is pretty low quality.
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited October 2003

Go to your local Radio Shack and buy a headphone-tape adapter. I use it for all kinds of stuff in my car. Although the audio output is pretty low quality. [/B]

Figured it was probably that easy. Quality not a big deal since:

1. Car stereo is low quality
    2. Car speakers are low quality
    3. Car is low quality.

Do we detect a trend here? :rolleyes2
  • DOSMANDOSMAN Grand Rapids, MI
    edited October 2003
    My car is so much better than yours.

A 1991 Pimpmobile!!! :vimp::thumbsup:
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited October 2003
  • ishiiiishiii Cold lake, AB, CA
    edited October 2003
    Well I have a samsung yepp yp-301sh
    Pros:
    Small
    Looks nice
    Comes with some nice extras (strap for running, clip)
    USB 2.0, fast transfers

Cons;
    The software that comes with it checks the mp3 before allowing transfer so not all songs can be transfered. THIS IS A BIG CON

The girlfreind has a 128mb Aziao USB style mp3 player
    Pros:
    Can transfer any song onto it
    Can use it with no special software just win xp

Cons;
    No extras
    Since it does not check mp3 integrity, you can get a squelch or chirp sound from time to time

Next time around I will go with a usb style mp3 player, the yepp i have is nice but downloading the same song a few times just to get it to transfer is BUNK
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited October 2003
    DOSMAN said
    My car is so much better than yours.

A 1991 Pimpmobile!!! :vimp::thumbsup:

OK, you win. :doh:

I got a '96 Contour, only SLIGHTLY more pimpin' than the 91 minivan (the wife drives our van, so I know of what I speak!)
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I have one of the early Rios and I really dig it. I don't even know if they make them anymore.
  • edited October 2003
    I have the Rio One (I used to have the original Rio, the PMP300, which is the parallel-fed version of the RIO One). I think this is what BJ is talking about.

Anyways, it's fine. Stick a cheap SM card in there (128MB) and you get 160 megs of space. TO access it, Windows treats it as a USB drive, so just move the songs over like you would to any other directory in Windows.

My only problem with it, is it's display. You cannot actually see what’s playing, as it uses numbers to distinguish tracks (First MP3 is track 1, second track 2, etc) much like CD players. Also, the "Random" function is crummy. The player takes one of three different track orders, meaning the only way to truly end up with a different track order every time, would be to remove all the songs from the player, and re-load them in a different order.

On the other hand, it’s a cheap player (I got mine for free, just for buying Windows XP Home upgrade edition, back the day it was released) and you could easily find it for under $50 at many stores.

It’s also rather small, and lasts for hours on end on only 1 AA battery.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Actually, mine is the Rio 500. It displays the track names and all that, and lets you set up different folders for different playlists. Its really keen.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited October 2003
    Honestly? The best MP3 player around is Apple's iPod (and I know someone's gonna take this out of context and I'm gonna hear about it later... :rolleyes: )
  • PowerMDPowerMD OR room #3
    edited October 2003
    Ipod hands down
    I lived with 128 MB player for awhile but got sick of having to add/delete etc
    got an older ipod version off apple's site for less than $200 and just dumped everything on it - about 8 gigs now
    runs VBR no prob, no lost songs, battery life is ridiculously long, firewire transfers rule, free software (not musicmatch)
    i believe all those accessories are available for ipods
  • LIQuidLIQuid Raleigh, NC
    edited October 2003
    they are selling the older versions for less than 200? on their site?
  • reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
    edited October 2003
    the apple store has refurbed 10GB 2nd gen iPod's for windows for $169. 2nd gen is better since it doesn't have the mechanical scroll wheel, it has a touch wheel, but it doesn't have the stupid new connector. the new 3rd gen ones are thinner, have all touch buttons for play menu and whatnot, but thier battery life is worse and they don't use a stardard firewire cable, so you have to carry around thier propriatery cable to use it as a removeable hard drive. However, if you need to use USB 2.0, then you need a 3rd gen, but the 10GB costs $299. It's cheaper to buy a refubrd 2nd gen and a firewire card.
  • reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
    edited October 2003
    also iTunes for windows is coming out soon, possibly the 16th of October.
    edited October 2003
    can i use the 2nd ipod and windows together?
    edited October 2003
    im looking at apple's site and i cant seem to find refurbished iPods anywhere ;[[[[[[[

[edit] found it lol