New AMD CPU Drivers out

MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
edited May 2006 in Hardware
AMD has released new drivers. I downloaded and installed the X2 drivers. They are dated 4/28/06 and seem to work fine. Old drivers must be uninstalled first.

I downloaded em here : http://www.tweaksrus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=496&Itemid=1

There's 4 varieties now. Athlon & X2 in both 64 & 32 bit.

Just FYI

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Any word on what has been changed or improved?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (exe) 1.3.1 - Allows the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination that match the instantaneous user performance need. Download this Setup Installation program (EXE) to automatically update all the files necessary for installation. This package is recommended for users whom desire a graphical user interface for installation. This .EXE driver is a user friendly localized software installation of the driver designed for end-users. This driver supports AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processors on Windows XP SP2 and Windows 2003 SP1.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Anyone have any speed changes? I installed them, but didn't do any benchmarks before hand to see what they do.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    1 guy ran Super Pi on his X2 before and after and time went down .2 secs.

Other than that noone seems to see any difference. I feel that mine feels a little snappier and doesn't "think" so hard when sharing cpu. It used to kinda pause a bit sometimes. It hasn't done that all day today. A good sign anyway.

Played some WOW and AOE3 and all is stable. I do have CnQ enabled so it is throttling up and down.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I would disable that CnQ, i see no use for it, unless you are the type that like a completly dead quiet computer.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I would disable that CnQ, i see no use for it, unless you are the type that like a completly dead quiet computer.

Water cooled so noise isn't the issue. It's supposed to work so I use it. You never notice it's even doing it.

My power draw drops by almost 100 watts when it's idling if you believe my UPS power meter.
  • edited May 2006
    A lot of programs (especially games, including Serious Sam 2) were having major problems on AMD's dual core systems- mostly audio and mouse input issues- due to the way Windows handled the second core.

Before the only way to use these games was to run them in Windows98 compatibility mode, but this driver is supposed to be the permanent fix.