Win98-firewall?

athalonheadathalonhead Member
edited May 2006 in Science & Tech
I have computer that is running windows 98.
Do I need a firewall when connecting to the internet on dialup with a modem?
I am using avast for antivirus.

Hello?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Yes you need a firewall.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Perhaps you should make the jump to windows 2000 or xp? There are also alternative operating systems if you cant afford xp
  • athalonheadathalonhead Member
    edited May 2006
    My computer has winoiws xp. This computer I am asking about is a 450 mhz athlon k6 with win 98.
    It is for my folks they are using aol.I had zone alarm on and it was causing aol to have problems connecting. When I shut off zone alarm aol started connecting ok.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    It is for my folks they are using aol ... have problems connecting.

aol might be your problem. Is highspeed internet available in your area. I know around here you can get a very basic dsl plan for $15 a month. and the cheapest dial up is $10, it may not be the fastest, but its still 3-4 times as fast, not to mention a whole lot more reliable and always on. I think I would go crazy if I had to start dialing in agian. XP will run on that computer, ive put xp on a 300Mhz optiplex. It wasnt fast, but it worked.
  • athalonheadathalonhead Member
    edited May 2006
    I tried to get them off aol---- Had them on peoplepc---- but they didnt like it because that is what they know.They are only paying $10.00 a month for a limmited connection with aol.
    When I shut off zone alarm it started connecting ok though. It may have been one of ths zone alarm security settings I will recheck next time I am over there to see if I can get it working.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Id suggest dumping ZoneAlarm (it's a horribly unconfigurable bloated product).

Use the last free version of Sygate ---> http://www.majorgeeks.com/Sygate_Personal_Firewall_Free_d3356.html

Don't download from authors site, as they are now part of Symantec. Instead use one of the MajorGeeks mirrors from the link above :)