New HDD time...do I need 8MB or 16MB cache

CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
edited May 2006 in Hardware
Newegg has a sweet deal on a 300GB SATA, 8MB cache for $95, free shipping. Seems to me I'd be better off waiting for the same deal w. 16MB cache...or would I? This would be mostly a storage drive, maybe some games installed to it.

Thoughts? Thank you all....I need to come visit more often than I do.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148131

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I recall when the 8mb cache drives hit the market and Storage Review did a write up comparing them to the 2mb cache drives. The difference was so small that some benches showed the newer drives slower depending on how the test was done. With the advent of the newer SATA drives with redesigned circuit boards the 8mb cache started to have an effect. It will actually take a faster spinning drive to allow the 16mb cache to come through. So my answer is that this drive for that price is a hell of a deal. And you will not miss the larger cache at all!
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited May 2006
    I think that the OEM HDD has one year warranty, instead of 5 years.

OEM disks are usually installed in computers sold by the distributor line.
    And the warranty is therefore only covered by the warranty given by the distributor.
    In Sweden it is 1 year.

Please check the warranty time.

There is always a reason why they lower the price, and that is the new 7200.10 harddisk line ...:)
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    With Seagate the warranty is the same. the difference in price comes from lack of retail packaging, support CD and cable.