The planning begins!

KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
edited June 2003 in Hardware
Here we go, it is time to finnish the planning of my first computer mod. I wish for all those on these forums to aid me in designing this new case.

Comments

• KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
    edited June 2003
  • KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
    edited June 2003
  • KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
    edited June 2003
  • KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
    edited June 2003
  • KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
    edited June 2003
  • KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
    edited June 2003
    Now here is the current plan for the side panel cut. Notice that the box with the x in it is the planned 80 mm fan.
  • KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
    edited June 2003
    I have a plan already set for the top of the case. But it may change, so give me some tips on it.

The top box will be were the duct comes out. I am going to use the fan suct from xoxide.com . I am going to connect 2 thermaltake ones together and connect that to a fan that I will mount on tha back of the power supply. The other end of the duct will be fastened to the accrylic window like the other two fans.
  • KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
    edited June 2003
    I have devised a experimental stealth for my cd-rom drive. The drive will have 2 LEDs on it, the green one will always be on. But when the switch is pressed, the light will turn red and the cd-rom tray will pop out. When the switch is pressed again, the light will change to green and it will retract. Here is the current schematic for it.
  • KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
    edited June 2003
    So what do you think so far? I would appreciate any tips or advice. The primary color for the case will be black. I think that I am going to paint the frame blue. I haven't quite decieded on what to do with the front bevel yet.

The case could be one of several things. I haven't decided yet:

*It might become a folding rig.
    *I might sell it on e-bay.
    *I might give it to my sister (her computer dosen't provide sufficent cooling) Then I will have another computer to mod. :D
    *I might just sell it to my friends.
    *I might use it as a LAN case.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    The cd-rom tray idea sounds good, I would like to see that. The side window has a pretty cool design. Looks like everything is pretty much good to go, now time to get down and dremel that baby out.

oh and use it as a folding rig :)
  • KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
    edited June 2003
    I am going to wait a week or so before I start cutting. I recently applied at a home depot that is opening in my town soon. If I can get the job, hopefully I can get an employee discount. I will also need the money. I will probably use the jig-saw and drill method for the side panel, and the dremel on the top of the case. But I will use the dremel on the side of the case for the cleaning up the edges.

I would also like to have purchased all of the fans, paint, and lights before I start cutting. Because when I start, I do not want to stop before it is finnished. So keep your fingers crossed, if I can get the job, I will have the job done in no time. But if I do not get the job, then it might take a while for it to finnish. On the bright side, I heard that they are planning on filling 300 jobs with the home depot.
  • jj Sterling Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Have you tried that circuit? Make sure there are no children in the room when you turn the power on :-)
  • KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
    edited June 2003
    So far, without the acrylic, the cost of all of the modding supplies. It will cost $109. Does anyone know of a place to get sheets of acrylic?

So far the shopping list includes:

1 120mm fan filter
    1 120mm Aluminum fan
    3 80mm Quad blue LED fans
    1 80mm filter
    2 80mm blue LED crystal fans
    1 blue cold cathode
    2 thermaltake fan ducts
    several feet of chrome molding (I estimated at 10)

Then the acrylic for the windows and the spray paint.

I got all the prices on xoxide.
  • KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
    edited June 2003
    The two fans on the top and the side fan will be outtake, the big 120mm fan in the front will be intake, as well as the fan in the back. The last fan will be an outtake and will be mounted on the power supply, then it will be ducted to the outside of the case, through the top. The duct and the two blowholes will be mounted directly onto the acrylic. This case will most likely become my sisters, since the problem with her case, is the insufficent cooling. Also, once I mod this one and give it to her, I will get her case. You know what that means? Another free case to mod!
  • NixxerNixxer Nottingham, UK
    edited June 2003
    The front of it kind of looks like a Nokia mobile phone. First thing that came to mind.
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited June 2003
    The best advice I can give you is to NOT USE CHEAP PAINT! Use good, automotive caliber paint and you will be all set. Make sure you buff that baby good with high grade finishing polishes, otherwise you can expect scratches and it will look like crap.

As far as the windows go, I'm not too big on windows so I'll just butt out. If it was me, I'd leave the panels as panels and concentrate on other areas.

Lastly, a word to the wise: Measure how much space is between all the areas you wish to put fans and any internal components. That looks like a smaller case, so the panels could be pretty close to some of the expansion cards that you've got in there. Try and account for at least 30MM for 25MM thick fans, that'll leave you space for rubber grommets (Kills vibrations) and a grill or filter.

Also, for your top window, keep in mind that you're going to be staring at the top of a CD-ROM drive unless you've somehow accounted for that or plan to modify it. You may want to consider making the top window smaller or simply making a top blowhole instead of a window. It seems to me like in smaller cases it's an either-or situation. Window or blowhole... Maybe not enough space for both with the optical drive and PSU in such tight quarters.

I did say I was going to butt out, right? :D
  • KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
    edited June 2003
    LOL, the front does look like a phone. The case is the size of a standard full tower case. The top of the case is about 20cm wide. So if I do use the plan of lineing them up side by side, it would be a tight fit. I was thinking of putting a window on the cd-rom drive, and maybe paint it. The way I see it, is that the point of having windows, is so you can see the inards of the computer.

I think that I will use the fans from my sister's current computer because this one will most likely be hers. I think that she has about the right number of 80mm fans that I need. So the only fan that I should have to buy is the 120mm aluminum one. That would drop the cost down to like 53 dollars.
  • KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
    edited June 2003
    Can you get a 30mmhole saw? I would like to use it on the side of the case, to make the rounded ends of the two ovals, more perfect.
    edited June 2003
    maybe not a hole saw for metel. there is something called a hole punch. might find it at home depot
  • KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
    edited June 2003
    I never heard of a hole punch before. What exactly is it?
    edited June 2003
    http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/images/Q-Max/q-max.jpg

This is an example of what one looks like. You drill a small hole to put the hole punch bolt through, then you start turning the bolt till the punch goes through. Pretty nice.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    You can also get your acrylic sheets at home depot. They cut to size for free... and if you work there, you can probably shape it yourself.
  • OldDogOldDog Whittier,Ca.
    edited June 2003
    Most electricians have hole punches of various sizes, maybe
    someone you know, or a relative is an electrician and will let
    you use what you need. If you're not going to use on a regular
    basis they tend to be a bit expensive for one time use. They
    make a very clean and exactly round hole, larger sizes are great for fans.
  • KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
    edited June 2003
    I don't know of any electricians. I have friends in the glass business and electronics. Heck my father designs next generation fiber optic networking equipment. I just wanted to find an excuse to say that.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    KilJaeden said
    The two fans on the top and the side fan will be outtake, the big 120mm fan in the front will be intake, as well as the fan in the back. The last fan will be an outtake and will be mounted on the power supply, then it will be ducted to the outside of the case, through the top. The duct and the two blowholes will be mounted directly onto the acrylic. This case will most likely become my sisters, since the problem with her case, is the insufficent cooling. Also, once I mod this one and give it to her, I will get her case. You know what that means? Another free case to mod!

Whoa Whoa.

Sides are intake and all rear are exhaust not intake. You have PSU on read as out and another on read as intake.

Sides I guess could go either way but I want a force blowing against my vid card and CPU and not a gentle breeze blowing across it.
  • KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
    edited June 2003
    The deal with the psu is that I am going to add another fan to it. I till mount it on the back of it. Then I will switch the original one to an intake. So I will have an intake and an outake fan for the psu. Then I will connect a duct to the outake fan and the duct leads to the top of the case. So I will have a flow of air through the psu and out the top. This sounds like an effecient cooling method to me. I may be wrong.

I will probably have the side fan as an intake, because soon after I post the last comment I realized that the HSF blows at toward the processor not away. Since I have another intake fan, I will need to make a current intake fan an outake. So I will switch the rear fan to an outake. I will buy filters for all of my intake fans. The 120mm fan will be an intake fan, and the two 80mm fans on the top of the case will be outake. IMO I think the top fans are the most important fans. Since hot air rises, all the hot air will gather at the top of the case. So haveing fans at the top blowing out, it will accelerate all the hot air out of the case.