Building a new PC

NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
edited July 2006 in Hardware
Right now I have $200 sitting in front of me. I had previously been saving money to go towards my truck and now that thats done and I can put my money elsewhere...so its time for a new PC...why? Because i'm N7ghtwolf and I can. I am still going to keep the PC I have now intact...I just want another one!!!

Current PC specs:
AMD socket-939 3000+ Winchester
MSI K8N Neo4
2 X 512 of Kingston HyperX
Gigabye manufactured nVidia 6600

Things I want...more speed, better graphics, smaller case (I want a SMALL case). I do prefer AMD but am open if you can find a faster Pentium for cheaper. I do prefer nVidia but I will use ATI. I "WILL" want to overclock this compter (because i'm N7ghtwolf...and I can). So I come to you (short-media) in my time of need.

At less you are LEO or MT GOAT I don't want a long post of you picking out all the parts for this system. Just say hey...this new AM2 processor is amazing..and cheap...and cool...that kind of thing.

This will be a Gaming PC..and only a Gaming PC

My price range = $1000 give or take whatever...

Comments

• NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited June 2006
    this is about the size of case I want...so maybe forget the OC'ing, I just want pure speed..MWAHAHAHA!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811144162
    edited June 2006
    I do not need an OS
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    I would wait. Processor are about to get a lot cheaper.
    edited June 2006
    I heard that, AMD's doin like a 50% cut. I just wanna know whats good right now. Been busy for the last couple of months and hadn't caught up.
    edited June 2006
    3800+ is the lowest dual core you can get, but it still flies. opties are nice, the 170 is real popular.
    edited June 2006
    Have you ever used the 3800?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    N7ghtwolf
    I have used the X2 3800, 170 Opty and 175 Opty. The 3800 pitted against either Opty is a joke. The cost of 175 over the 170 is also a joke. So that leaves just one choice for the best bet, the 170. If the Opty's don't tumble in price along with the X2's then the X2 4400 will be a good choice as it sits in almost the same spot. But I don't know what the coming prices of any of them will be for sure yet. It will be a wait and see type of situation in say 2-3 weeks @ the Egg.

I truely feel that such a case will severly limit you for performance potential!!! Get a full sized case with good airflow and a good PSU, period!

One of these should take care of you for a video card. Do you want the SLI or Crossfire option open for later or will a single card be good in this system?
    edited June 2006
    I've heard so many good things about the performance of the 170's. I was looking at the 7900GT and for $280 thats takes care of that. I'm not interested in ever going SLi, by the time i'd need that extra performance i'll just buy a newer card. As for the case, I do a lot of lan'ing and I hate the lugging around of the big case, but I do want to start OC'ing and I suppose i'd rather have a PC that outperforms all my friends than one that looks better than theirs.

I think i'm gonna replace the families computer with my current and use theirs as a 24/7 folding box.
    edited June 2006
    I hope the optys get the price cuts, because that is what I have my heart set on and a 3800 for a server.

if you are wanting some performance, without a doubt, get the 170.
  • edited June 2006
    Anyone know when this price cut is coming?
    edited June 2006
    Soon. withiin the next couple of weeks I'm guessing.
    edited June 2006
    So far Newegg has dropped prices on the following single core CPU's;

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice ..........dropped 17%
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice ..........dropped 32%
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice ..........dropped 36%
    AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice ..........dropped 16%
    AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego .......dropped 11%

And a few of the 14x series Opteron socket 939 CPU's dropped a little. So far no price changes on any of the Dual Core X2 A64 or Opteron chips. Monarch has been a bit slower to respond but I feel they will follow suit next week. I expect the single cores to drop some more in the weeks to come and it will likely take at least 2 weeks for any change in the Dual Core arena as AMD is very very strong there right now. They are having trouble keeping up with demand on all the Dual Core's at the moment. On the other hand Intel still has a glut of overstock on their Pentium D's and will keep dropping the price to get rid of them.
  • edited June 2006
    Kingston value ram gets good reviews on newegg and definitly can't beat the bang for the buck when it comes to the 7900 (ck out the benchmarks on gamespot and other sites.)
    edited June 2006
    I think I might be going with some more HyperX, I really like this stuff and its very stable. But I'd like to get your guys' opinion.
    edited June 2006
    Since you mentioned overclocking I would strongly recomend OCZ Platinum Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 500 (PC 4000) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail / Model #: OCZ5002048EBPE-K over all others. It is currently an excellent buy at the price and the rebate makes it even better!
    edited June 2006
    yeh, I have the Platinum EL Revision 2 etc etc 512 *2, and the stuff is awesome. I had another kit floating around unused, but I sold it to lemon lime. Did I mention it is awesome ram?
    edited July 2006
    Ressurecting this thread. Now that the price cuts are done.

How good of an oc'er is the 4000+? I think oc'ing is my main gole right now. I wanna get the pc i'm currently on to my parents within the next month and a half.