Question about cutting the top of a case.

KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
edited June 2003 in Hardware
How close can you cut towards the edge of the top of the case.

Comments

• ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    You have to remember if you are using plexiglass to fill in for a window, you have to leave about half an inch or so from your cut to lay the plexi on.
  • KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
    edited June 2003
    So the plexiglass would be an inch smaller than the hole?
    edited June 2003
    I used lexel to hold my plexi in place, you never want to cut your plexit smaller than the hole you are trying to cover, never, it just won't work.
  • KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
    edited June 2003
    I was thinking of using acrylic, and using edge moding to secure it in. But because of the placement of the 2 fans on the roof of my case, the molding might case them not to fit. The fans sit right next to one another.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    ...post a picture of what you have, or send a drawing (assuming you draw a heckuva lot better than I do)?

Unless it's a cheapo case you wouldn't mind replacing anyway, It would be hard to give you specific advice without risking leading you down the primrose path.

Prof
    (Who often stops to smell the primroses...):D
  • KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
    edited June 2003
    I have posted an early picture of the top of the case in my other thread. It is the planning one.
    edited June 2003
    ...but sometimes when I'm getting ready to cut into something I can't afford to screw up I'll make a cardboard model and test-fit everything into it. If you've got box roughly the size of your case, or even a flat piece of cardboard you can bend to approximate the size of the part you want to perform surgery on, you could give that a try.

Your pictures look good - I like the massive blow-holes on top.:)

Prof
  • KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
    edited June 2003
    I wonder if anyone on these forums likes my duct idea.
    edited June 2003
    I think ducts are great. With the wide difference in airflow patterns due to unique case design and varying PCI card sizes etc, it is nearly impossible to predict what effect individual fans will have on the overall cooling effectiveness.

A properly designed and built duct virtually assures you that the airflow will be moving from Point A to Point B.

If it works out well for you I might try it myself the next time I rebuild my system. For my current system, temps are OK, and since I am only mildly OC'ing my T-Bird 1200 (to 1400) I probably won't mess with it until I can afford to upgrade to a Barton.

Prof
    edited June 2003
    profdlp had a good idea, I should have done the same when modding my case but I didn't. I scored the plexi with an acrylic knife thing then took the job saw to it and prayed. If you are confident in your steady hands and all then you probably won't need to practice or make a guide, but that's up to you to decide. But remember better to be safe than sorry.