Decisions.....Decisions.....Decisions

MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
edited June 2006 in Hardware
I'm gonna do a minor upgrade to my system and am stuck on a major choice.

Do I go with and Abit AT 32X crossfire and an X1800XT or do I go with an Abit AN 32X with a Nvidia 7900GT. I'll be re-using my 4400+ X2 and 2gb of Patriot RAM. I'll either keep my Antec true Control 550W PS or switch to a spare Ultra Xconnect 600W that I have sitting on the bench. I got like 8 or 10 sata drives to play with so I don't ever count them.

I'm not an Nvidia video fan by any means because I've had many cards from them in the past and really thought their unstable drivers were a pain. ATI cards just have better looking color and AA AF. Drivers have been much better especially lately.

On the other hand I have had good luck with my last 2 Nvidia chipsets and have had no experience with an ATI chipset other than one AOPEN cube system I built and it was a good, fast, stable setup.

So the dillema is which way do I Go? I will probably add a second video card down the road. Since I'm a M$ test scum I will be using Vista when it comes out (and testing now).

What do you guys think? Advice and consent needed :)

Comments

• MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Well if anybody is interested I decided to give Nvidia video cards another look and went with the Abit AN8-32X and the XFX 7900GT Extreme Edition.

At least it will get me into PCI-E video so I can switch out to AM2 stuff in a few months :)
  • edited June 2006
    Just be aware of the abnormally high RMA percentages on the 7900GT cards, Missileman. A lot of them are having problems dealing with the factory overclocks in some games. Just let jradmin see this thread and he can direct you to some of his tales of woe.

Other than that, I'll be curious to see how your new Abit board works out. I haven't trusted anything of their's for over a year now; ever since they got in such a financial bind and were turning out boards with less than stellar performance. Since they got bought out, maybe their QC and features have improved a bit. :D

Also, depending on how they turn out in July, Conroe might also be a good choice for an upgrade path too.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Well the forums are all pretty quiet about the Abit board other than the questions from people who shouldn't be allowed to operate a computer let alone build one. All the info I could find said The A8N and A8T are good boards. I always was an Abit fan so I figured I'd give em a chance.

I did find a few of the 7900GT overclock problems, but recently eveything seems to be okay. At least I know mine will be a new batch since all of a sudden it went to backorder status. I'll just have to wait and see and hope for a good one :ninja:
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    XFXZ is a great company to get your 7900GT's from.. and If I were you I would got he Nvidia route... its your call!