Something's up with my keyboard and mouse

BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseurThere's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
edited June 2006 in Hardware
Every few minutes my keyboard and mouse lose power (MS Wireless Desktop combo thingy). The Numlock light on the receiver turns off and nothing works. Later they flicker somewhat and then never power back on. PC freezes after that (what has me confused the most). During all this the computer also froze with the garbled image in the screen. Any ideas? Posted here since this is my only rig and if it goes down, I have nothing else. I barely have any spare parts either.

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Anyone got any ideas? I ran memtest and it would reboot. Removed a ram stick and ran it again. Passed. Now a day later I'm getting the same problems. I don't think it's the OS or anything cause it also reboots while in the bios. Really need some suggestions since I'm leaving on Tuesday for the lan party and I don't want to leave my dad without a PC.
  • edited June 2006
    Got a spare PSU? It's either that or the mobo because it sounds like the USB port's losing power.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Well the kb and mouse are connected to the ps2 ports and my gamepad doesn't lose power when this happens. Checked the voltages in the bios and they don't fluctuate that much and only the +5 rail seems different at 4.65-.67.
  • edited June 2006
    Check the voltages with a multi meter, way more reliable. If the 5V is that low then you have PSU issues, the spec calls for no lower than 4.75V.

And the mobo supplies 5V to the PS2 ports too, try running the kb/mouse off the USB ports instead.
    edited June 2006
    I don't have a multimeter but I'm also thinking it's the PSU. These past two days that it's happened, the pc runs fine in the morning (was turned off during the night). As the day goes by, the flickering of the kb and mouse happen once in awhile. In the afternoon it happens more frequently and at night it's a miracle if the pc stays on for more than 30mins.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Your gamepad is fine?
    I suspect your wireless hub thing.
    If I recall the hub is powered from the mobo and the kb and mouse use batteries, right?
    Your lockup could be that the kb sends a ton of crap when this happens.
    You need to beg or steal a standard kb and mouse to run for a while.

The other possability is that it is your PSU or a mobo power circuit is over heating and when it gets flakey the first thing to suffer is you kb/mouse.
    edited June 2006
    edcentric wrote:
    Your gamepad is fine?
    I suspect your wireless hub thing.
    If I recall the hub is powered from the mobo and the kb and mouse use batteries, right?
    Your lockup could be that the kb sends a ton of crap when this happens.
    You need to beg or steal a standard kb and mouse to run for a while.
    I think you are correct. Has happened twice to me with these multimedia keyboards and it's the only time I've seen it happen.

Here's to me winning the kb and mouse prize at the lan party. :woowoo: