AM2 heatsink question

BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseurThere's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
edited July 2006 in Hardware
I'm currently using the retail heatsink and I don't think I have it installed right. F@H's running and MSI's program is showing a temp of 48C. The clamp on the HSF is not tightened because the first time I clamped it, the actual board got bent a little. Is that normal?

Aside from that, I'm also using the stock thermal paste/pad/whatever it's called since I seem to have lost my OCZ thermal tube given at the lan party. Not sure if that's causing the temps.

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    What are your specs? I'd say it is high.:honoes:
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    48C folding is actually a decent temp considering your location and no A/C. Removing the thermal pad and using AS-5 would drop the temp by a degree or two. Something could be causing a problem if your board is bending when locking the clamp on the heatsink or the hold down assembly may not be completely on the socket. Try playing with the heatsink a bit to see if you can get it to feel a little looser prior to clamping. The K8 heatsinks have been quite tight compared to the socket A's but don't think your board should be bending.

A word of caution should be given here.
    Due to the large surface area of the IHS on the CPU and the stickyness of the thermal pads on the stock heatsinks there is a very high possibility of pulling the CPU out of the socket when removing the heatsink! So proceed with caution and patience when rmoving the heatsink. I have done it twice now but have never had this problem when using AS-5.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    csimon wrote:
    What are your specs? I'd say it is high.:honoes:
    AMD Athlon 64 3800+ AM2
    MSI K9N Neo
    nVidia 7800 GT
    OCZ 512mb PC2 4200
    OCZ Modstream 520W

But my question is. Is the clamp supposed to be used? It's pretty snug without it.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2006
    When I first installed the OEM heatsink on my MSI Socket 939 MB (K8N Neo2 Platinum) I nearly peed my pants. I had to take several deep breaths before I could muster the courage to flip the locking lever all the way over - it just seemed too tight, like it was about to snap off.

I'd do what mtgoat suggested and make sure that everything is seated properly.

Also: I scraped the thermal pad off and replaced it with AS5 before I even tried installing the thing. It occurs to me that with a thick spongy wad of thermal pad under there it may well have wanted to bow the board. If you have even a cheap tube of silicon paste you can use temporarily it may make the installation easier for the time being. I'd replace it with something a little better as soon as possible, though.

I wish I'd have nabbed myself a tube of that OCZ stuff at the LAN Party - I'd send it to you. :(
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    yeah until then don't use the bracket if it's snug w/o it and causing bending. Bending is not good unless of course it happens to be your significant other ...LOL
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I'm guessing bad contact because the program is now showing 52C while folding but the HSF is barely warm to the touch.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    52C while folding
    That should be no problem at all. If you overclock though, it might need better cooling.