Where do I start?

BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseurThere's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
edited August 2006 in Hardware
I'd like to tweak my rig but I have no idea where to start. Last time I even remotely tried, was with a 800mhz Tbird. I've had no clue about hardware since A64 came out so I'm gonna need alot of help.

I'd like to tweak my ram, some settings I have no clue about and maybe OC my video card a bit. My specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (Orleans) Socket AM2
MSI K9N-Neo Rev 1.0 (Bios is the latest beta I think)
OCZ 1GB (2x 512MB) PC2 5400 Gold XTC
nVidia 7800 GT (ForceWare 91.33)
Western Digital 250GB SATA (if that matters)

Anyone got any guides for AM2 or know any tricks? I'll run 3DMark in a bit and see what score I get.

TIA :cool:

Comments

• TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Post all the timing and voltage options the bios have. Temps looks ok in idle?
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    FSB Freq (200)
    CPU Dynamic Overclock (Disabled)
    Adjust DDR Voltage (2.00V)

Memclock Mode (Auto)
    MCT Timing Mode (Auto)
    CAS
    TRAS
    TRP
    TRCD
    TRRD
    TRC
    CMD-ADDR Timing Mode (2T)
    Memory Hole (Disabled)

Hyper Transport Configuration:
    SB to CPU Freq Auto (Disabled)
    SB to CPU Freq (400)
    SB to CPU Linkwidth (16/16)

CPU temps are around 39-42C (4-7C or less above ambient) while idle and currently 57C while folding. I'm using the stock HSF and thermal pad and I know that's the first thing I have to change.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Start by trying to set back the memclock to a step slower. Then use the fsb to go up to example 210. Do things one step at a time, save and reboot to bios. Your temps doesn't allow for more voltage so you have to take it easy.
    You should be able to do at leasts 100mhz-200 mhz extra on stock voltage i think. Whats the options on the SB to CPU Freq? If the temps doesn't allow for more speed, we will have to tweak the memory and timings to be faster. Your cpu supports up to DDR667 if it's a singlecore so there's lots of room left.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2006
    Although 754/939 based, there is a good deal of pertinent information available here: http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=300
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Start by trying to set back the memclock to a step slower.
    To what do I set it to? I don't know what's the default number. I can select from 200 to 400.
    Whats the options on the SB to CPU Freq?
    200 to 1600.

Forgot to mention. I don't really plan on OC'ing at this moment due to the temps. I just want to tweak timings any other setting I don't know about and possibly OC my video card.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2006
    Have any luck Black Hawk? Keep us posted on your progress! :)
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    There are some ways to tweek without overclocking.
    Two things come to mind.
    Either just tighten the memory timings (3-3-3-9 T1)
    or, my choice would be to lower the multiplier from 12 to 11 and see if you can get the FSB to 218. Then lower it again to 10 and try for 240. This will leave the CPU at the same speed, but the memory will be running faster.
  • edited August 2006
    You say you would like to tweak: basically get more speed/performance. What OS are you running? If it's Windows XP Pro (SP2...) you might want to look into Windows LSD. Can't really say much bout it, as I don't know how moderation deals with illegal software here... but it's developped by some french guys. In a nut shell, you have every good thing about XPproSP2 without all the garbage that slows you down. I have it on a 833 Mhz laptop w 256 MB, and I can play counter strike source without breaking a sweat.