Conroe 6600 retail, Asus P5W DH Deluxe, Zalman 9500LED

TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
edited October 2006 in Hardware
First test done and 3.5 seems to be the limit on air without better bios support or a better mainboard. Huge divider issues as soon as you start ramping up the fsb, but this thing is fast! 7800 GTX 256 stock speed.

Comments

• TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited August 2006
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    im gonna be building two conroe rigs next week, keep the info coming :)
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    nice going Senor Mack i remember back at icrontic you rigged up a abit board with like extra wires to give the ram more voltage...was that the reason why?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Keep us all updated, please. I expect you'll have a lot of readers to your Conroe thread(s). :thumbsup:
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2006
    Nice work Mack! I'm itching to get one of those under the vapo :D .. Going to wait for some mature enthusiast boards to hit the market.. looking forward to DFI's next 775 board.
  • edited August 2006
    Yeah, I like the results! But I am also going to wait for a little more maturity on this platform before dropping da cash. It should only get better... :cool:
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    So the mobo topped out at 387, even using lower multi?
    I can see the mess with keeping everyting running at the right speeds.

How does it fold?
  • edited August 2006
    Hey Mack, have you prepped the nb and sb by taking them off and putting some Ceramique or AS5 in place of that factory tim crap? Also, you might try ripping those fancy little covers off the nb and sb, exposing the cooling fins to better airflow. I removed the one off my sb with no problems and I had to switch out the nb heatpipe for a Swifty MCX159-Cu since it's installed in a TJ06. I'm still waiting on my Conroes (yes, I ordered a 6300 yesterday since the 6600's seem to be delayed here in the states). I plan to use the 6300 later after it gets replaced with my 6600 for a folding rig build.
  • edited August 2006
    I got an email notification at 8:57PM from ZipZoomFly that they had the E6600's in stock. When I checked at 10:05PM, they were already sold out. DANG!
  • edited August 2006
    Yeah, I got the same notification too. But did you see how much the bastards jacked the prices up? $399 for the 6600 and right under $700 for the 6700. :mad: I have my preorder in with TankGuys.biz, who seem to be an enthusiast oriented place to shop at. Their price for the 6600 is right around $350 and no mention of jacking the prices up either.
  • edited August 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    Yeah, I got the same notification too. But did you see how much the bastards jacked the prices up? $399 for the 6600 and right under $700 for the 6700. :mad: I have my preorder in with TankGuys.biz, who seem to be an enthusiast oriented place to shop at. Their price for the 6600 is right around $350 and no mention of jacking the prices up either.
    I didn't even look at price. I saw the red "out of stock" and closed the window. Classic price jacking when demand is greater than supply! I'm a little disappointed that ZipZoomFly went with those tactics. I wonder if the other e-tailers will follow suit?
    edited August 2006
    I'm a little disappointed that ZipZoomFly went with those tactics.
    It's not like it's a life's necessity. It's a luxury! LOL
  • edited August 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    It's not like it's a life's necessity. It's a luxury! LOL
    It's Techie Crack and I NEED it! I may have to resort to a life of white collar crime to support my habit! LOL
    edited August 2006
    It's Techie Crack and I NEED it!
    OK, now you are making sense! :D
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Hey Mack, thinking about conroe again, going to wait until the prices come down a bit and the channels fill up.. Also waiting to see what DFI does with the 975X or the 590, but what about PSUs? What's good?

I'm still looking at the Seasonics, FSPs and OCZ ModStreams.

//EDIT:

CPU coolers. WTF DO I DO FOR AN LGA775 HSF. JESUS GOD HELP ME, THIS BLUE LAND IS SO FOREIGN.
    edited August 2006
    TF DO I DO FOR AN LGA775 HSF...THIS BLUE LAND IS SO FOREIGN.
    Conroe + LGA775 = figuratively a million compatible HSF units. Yeah, that could be a dilemma. If you are interested in running at stock CPU frequency, the retail kit Intel cooler will perform perfectly. Also, from what I hear, they are relatively quiet too. If all out overclocking is your goal, you cannot do better for the money (or better irrespective of money for that matter) than the Thermaltake Typhoon. I also highly recommend the Scythe Ninja. Before selecting either of those, do an intensive internet search to ensure that you won't have a physical incompatibility with your desired motherboard. Both those heatsinks though, will install without problem on most first and second generation full size ATX boards and in regular size (not OEM, such as Dell or HP) tower cases. I'm running a Typhoon in an Antec Super Lanboy without problem at all. The main concern for the Typhoon is the height. If the case is not deep enough, the Typhoon will be too close to the case cover, which would inhibit airflow into the sink's fan. That's not a factor with the Scythe, as the optional fan is side mounted, in line with the case exhaust fan.

My recommendation is that you start with the kit HSF and upgrade only if you need to. Heck, even D9XX series owners have reached some amazing overclocks with stock coolers. (D8XX series heat belching pigs are another matter! :D) If you use a windowed case and want smashing good looks and good cooling, the Zalman 9500 would be an excellent choice.

Oh, did I mention, the Typhoon with its bundled fan and the Ninja with a low-flow 120mm fan are near dead silent? With a moderate volume case exhaust fan, you probably wouldn't even need a heatsink fan with Ninja.

Maybe you haven't seen my seminal work on these coolers. :bawling:
    edited August 2006
    I was already looking at the Typhoon and Ninja, but Newegg didn't turn up any compatability with LGA775 so I stopped looking and ate dinner. Meh.

Anyways, stock cooling. Right. ;D
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    man i have NEVER trusted stock cooling...
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Anyways, stock cooling. Right. ;D

;D

Big Typhoon is still the undisputed aircooling champion, and should do a wonderful job on the C2Duo platform as well.
  • edited August 2006
    The XP90/XP90-C/XP120/SI-120 series of Thermalright heatsinks will also work just fine on LGA775 with the RM775 adapter too. I'm running an XP90-C on my new build with the Celly in it (Until Mr. Conroe gets here later today) and it's doing a remarkable job of cooling the Celly with folding temps in the 40-41° C range. That's with it presently running at 3800/200 with 1.475 vcore set. I'm sure that the XP90-C should be more than enough to keep a Conore running cool even highly overclocked.

From what Macaholic has posted in the OC folding forum, his Conroe and Merom based machines are averaging some whopping big folding numbers too.

EDIT: Here's a link to Macaholic's stats. That's with just 1 Conroe at 3.0 GHz and a Merom at 2.16 GHz (installed in a Mac Mini).
    edited August 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Hey Mack, thinking about conroe again, going to wait until the prices come down a bit and the channels fill up.. Also waiting to see what DFI does with the 975X or the 590, but what about PSUs? What's good?

I'm still looking at the Seasonics, FSPs and OCZ ModStreams.

//EDIT:

CPU coolers. WTF DO I DO FOR AN LGA775 HSF. JESUS GOD HELP ME, THIS BLUE LAND IS SO FOREIGN.

I agree. Wait for the channels to fill up and get a GOOD mainboard thats proven good and reliable. The stuff that's out there now is just junk. I tried the MSI powerup yesterday, infact, 2 of them. Worst pos i have ever seen.

I would go with a Gamextream 600W or 700W Rob. The Zalman 9500LED surprised me a lot. Very good and cheap heatsink.
    Just for kicks, i threw in a 7950X2 videocard at stock speed. Man, this stuff is fast.

How do you benchmark with folding?
  • edited August 2006
    How do you benchmark with folding?

Basically, you just put it folding and compare it's output on the various wu's to what kind of folding speeds other processor types and speeds will do the same type wu at. It will also test your total system stability (2d, not 3d) too.
    edited August 2006
    No idea if you can see if this is fast or not...
    fold.JPG 159.5K
    edited August 2006
    Thanks for the tips, Marcus. :D Pretty much confirmed my feelings about Conroe and the required accessories.
  • edited August 2006
    Mack, using your processor speed as 3500 MHz and checking a frame in each of those clients where it didn't have a checkpoint done in it during the frame (checkpoints slow things down a bit), the p1808 is crunching at 70.57 points/day/GHz. The p1809 is crunching at 66.14 points/day/GHz. I haven't done but 1 of the 1808's on any of my machines I've checked, which was on my Opty 170 rig. It averaged roughly 84.8 points/day/GHz, but since it was only running at 2.5 GHz at the time, it's total points/day were lower than your e6600.

EDIT: BTW, I see what you mean about the dividers and timings with this board at present. I can't run any manually set ram timings at all; the board won't boot with it set to manual on the ram timings at all. And it sets my timings real loose and sloppy with it set to "by spd" too.:wtf: I hope a future bios update will solve these problems as otherwise, I like the board.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Conroe + LGA775 = figuratively a million compatible HSF units. Yeah, that could be a dilemma.

oh sweet payback from the correct grammar/usage thread has come at last.:rarr:
    Definition wrote:
    A dilemma is a problem offering two solutions, neither of which is acceptable. The two options are often described as the horns of a dilemma, neither of which is comfortable.

So...there are only two HSF's, and neither of them are good? How interesting!!!:tongue2:
    edited August 2006
    Or
    3 a : a problem involving a difficult choice <the dilemma of "liberty versus order" -- J. M. Burns> b : a difficult or persistent problem <unemployment...the great central dilemma of our advancing technology -- August Heckscher>
    -- Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

But I must admit Airborn did show that I could have used a better word.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Or-- Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

But I must admit Airborn did show that I could have used a better word.

It's okay leo, I forgive you:)
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited August 2006
    Nice work Mack, unfortunately my first foray back to Intel hasn't been quite so nice. Looks like my Corsair XMS2-5400C4 doesn't like my P5W-DH :(

One stick will only run at PC3200 speeds and the other won't play ball at all, Memtest shows 1000's errors. Should have stuck with OCZ memory I suppose or not jumped ship to Intel at all.
    edited August 2006
    That sucks Jim. That must be some lousy ram i'd say. Got no other DDR2 at all?

Cooling is crucial on Conroes. Do not cheat on cooling if you intend to do any overclock. 1.55 volts or more is really getting toasty even on semi-good cooling like the Big Typhoon. Idle is on the other hand very cool. Like in the low 30's but loaded temps after a couple of hours are in the mid fifties. Remember, at least the 4mb cache cpu's start to throttle at 65c.

Currently, there are 2 hsf's that's competing. The Tunic Tower and Scythe Infinity. None of them can be found here in faroffistan.