Online/offline?

edited August 2006 in Folding@Home
This may be a stupid question, and I may have missed it when I perused through some other threads, but do I have to be online to fold? I have a terribly slow connection and find myself unable to connect most of the time. Will my computer still fold and report it when I am connected, or will I only be folding when I'm connected?
PS...I can't believe that this could be a cure for diseases...it still makes little sense to me, but its the easiest community service you can possibly do!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    You only need to be connected to send your completed information and download new stuff to work on.
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited August 2006
    PS...I can't believe that this could be a cure for diseases...it still makes little sense to me, but its the easiest community service you can possibly do!

With respect, in order for you to say that you must first not know anything of which you speak. Do some research on the science behind F@H and I think you'll find that the project shows a lot of promise.

~FA
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2006
    FA, I think he's asking a question, not making a statement. :)

BostonBoy, there is a lot of good information here.
    PROTEIN FOLDING AND DISEASE: BSE (Mad Cow), Altzheimer's, ...

What happens if proteins don't fold correctly? Diseases such as Alzheimer's disease, cystic fibrosis, BSE (Mad Cow disease), an inherited form of emphysema, and even many cancers are believed to result from protein misfolding.

When proteins misfold, they can clump together ("aggregate"). These clumps can often gather in the brain, where they are believed to cause the symptoms of Mad Cow or Alzheimer's disease.

It seems a little "magical" to me, too. But practically anything to do with medical science these days falls into that category. :p
  • edited August 2006
    thanks Prof...yea, it was just a question. Not quite sure I thought I'd arise a reaction like that from FA, but whatever. Thanks for everything guys...you got yourselves a determined folder out of all your help.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    thanks Prof...yea, it was just a question. Not quite sure I thought I'd arise a reaction like that from FA, but whatever. Thanks for everything guys...you got yourselves a determined folder out of all your help.

I think he just misinterpreted your statement. Taken one way, it can seem as though you're saying you "Don't understand [why people do it]" and that the whole project makes little sense, as in, it's a waste of time. It's cool. :)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2006
    The beautiful thing about this project is that it leans heavily on the preventive medicine side. It's one thing to get cancer and have a treatment for it (which beats the heck out of having nothing at all), but if they can figure out why proteins are misfolding and come up with a way to prevent that from happening in the first place we may be able to stop it before it has a chance to even get started.

I'm glad to hear that you are so determined to join in the fight. :thumbsup::fold:
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited August 2006

Yeah I wasn't trying to dis you man. I so did not read your statement as a question at all. My apologies.

~FA