If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Icrontic Expo 2014: The gaming & general geekery event you don't want to miss. Read about what's new this year and then buy tickets here.

no audio from gamecube

tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
edited Sep 2006 in The Icrontic Pub
Ok this is very very strange. I've been working on a gamecube and finally today I put it back together. All of the connections are secure and in the right spot, but for some reason there is no audio. All of the wires are connected firmly into the tv and the back of the gamecube. My A/V cables are special ones that work with xbox ps2 and gamecube (there are 3 seperate connections for each console). I tried the ps2 cables in my ps2 and they work fine so im pretty sure its not the cables. I took it apart and put it back together and still no audio.

The only thing I soldered was a new led. I took out the old power one and replaced it with a blue one, and theres no way that caused it. I dont have spare cables to try but does anyone have suggestions.

Comments

• ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut Toronto, ON Icrontian
    edited Aug 2006
    So.. Did the sound work before you opened the unit and soldered things?
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited Aug 2006
    no.....it wasnt working before i soldered. I took it apart apart just to paint it, put it back together and then there was no audio. the second time i took it apart i changed that led. Other than that one led which is on a seperate daughterboard i havent changed a thing.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX
    edited Aug 2006
    did you leave anything unplugged? it may be a ground connection or something inside, are all of the screws fastened securely?
    edited Aug 2006
    yea i think i found the problem. I was browsing on google for similar problems and I found in one case that a guy replaced his psu and it worked fine. I dont know how a psu could do that, but he said that his gamecube didnt have any audio after he took it apart so he tried all of the parts and after switching in a new psu everything was back to normal.

one of my friends is stopping over in a little with his A/V cables. I really hope its just something wrong with my cables. I did find a gamecube on ebay that has a bad laser for only $18 w/ shipping so im just gonna buy that if the cables dont work.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX
    edited Aug 2006
    well, audio is just an electrical signal, and if you get a bad ground, a bad anything, and the sound isnt going to work. a short can screw you over too.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited Aug 2006
    tmh88 said:
    yea i think i found the problem. I was browsing on google for similar problems and I found in one case that a guy replaced his psu and it worked fine. I dont know how a psu could do that, but he said that his gamecube didnt have any audio after he took it apart so he tried all of the parts and after switching in a new psu everything was back to normal.

one of my friends is stopping over in a little with his A/V cables. I really hope its just something wrong with my cables. I did find a gamecube on ebay that has a bad laser for only $18 w/ shipping so im just gonna buy that if the cables dont work.
    Have you tried un-doing all the mods that you did? Even if it's just soldering LEDs here and there, you could have solder-bridged something that you didn't notice...
    edited Aug 2006
    shwaip said:
    Have you tried un-doing all the mods that you did? Even if it's just soldering LEDs here and there, you could have solder-bridged something that you didn't notice...

the only mod that i did was change 1 led and that didnt make a difference. Its on a seperate daughterboard for the controllers and the gamecube powers on without it and doesnt give an error. It just thinks that no controllers are attatched. Even with it off i should still be able to hear sound but theres nothing.

heres where i found out about the power supply. read pegasys's posts, he even has pics. http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=329248&referid=269925&highlight=gamecube+no+audio
    edited Aug 2006
    could be shorting something out. seriously. You made a change. Things that used to work, no longer work...

You could have broken something in you power supply that will just break in the new one if you hook it up to the modified gamecube.
    edited Aug 2006
    no....i changed the LED after it stopped working. I took it apart to paint the case and I had all the stuff sitting there together without the top part of the case on. I went to turn it on and it powered on fine but with no audio. I didnt think much of it because i thought i just had a loose connection or something seeing that I just took the whole thing apart. Today i changed that 1 led and put it back together and made sure everything was 100% connected, and still no audio. I bet I shorted out the psu the first time i had it apart and im pretty much positive that led I changed has no effect. It had hte audio problem before i changed that led.
    edited Sep 2006
    tmh88 said:
    Ok this is very very strange. I've been working on a gamecube and finally today I put it back together. All of the connections are secure and in the right spot, but for some reason there is no audio. All of the wires are connected firmly into the tv and the back of the gamecube. My A/V cables are special ones that work with xbox ps2 and gamecube (there are 3 seperate connections for each console). I tried the ps2 cables in my ps2 and they work fine so im pretty sure its not the cables. I took it apart and put it back together and still no audio.

The only thing I soldered was a new led. I took out the old power one and replaced it with a blue one, and theres no way that caused it. I dont have spare cables to try but does anyone have suggestions.
    Well, this is a mite late, but apparently, if you hook up the ps2 part of the cable to the gc, you get video but no sound.