If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Interesting Rennaisance Festival Experience...

NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
edited Sep 2006 in The Pub
It was toward the end of the day as I travelled with my fellows (my aunt and her friend) when we got seperated when I walked to retrieve refreshment from the local Pub (I went and bought a bottle of water from one of the stands) and I walked back to the group of my fellows whom had come across another group of familliar persons (my cousin and her friend) when I noticed a peculiar entity who seemed like a fairy (a woman with fairy wing strapped on her back and a basket) . Whilst she sprinkled her fairy dust upon the to bless them I came gradually toward them (she was pouring glitter on them). She turned to me as I came to a halt by my fellows and made a motion to put fairy dust upon me, and I took a step back from her and said, "thank thee, but I wish not to have the blessing of thy fairy dust." ("no, thanks") She didn't speak but mad a face of sadness. She made another motion to her basket that she carried, and I backed away a few more paces until I ended up halting under a gazebo ( the one next to the joust arena). She put up her hand as to say wait as she held an unknown thing in her hand. I halted and did not move. She motioned for me to draw my blade (I had bought a wooden sword). I did so and the was a small ceremony. She pulled out a hoop from her arm and placed it about her neck. With this she said, "You are now a Knight of The Fairy Queen. She may call on you at any time. You may now only use your magic and weapons for good." Which afterward people clapped.

This was a wierd experience, and it really happened. I went to the Michigan Reneissance Festival on Labor Day this year.

Comments

• botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited Sep 2006
    Fairy Queens eh? If they don't get you with the fairy dust they get you with the old hoop trick, happens all the time round here.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited Sep 2006
    bothered wrote:
    Fairy Queens eh? If they don't get you with the fairy dust they get you with the old hoop trick, happens all the time round here.

I knew it! England really does have Faeries, castles and dragons!
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited Sep 2006
    A friend of mine was working at the festival for awhile.
  • NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
    edited Sep 2006
    Nomad wrote:
    A friend of mine was working at the festival for awhile.
    What does he do there?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited Sep 2006
    checkmate wrote:
    What does he do there?
    Ratcatcher, I'd guess. :vimp:" alt=":vimp:" />
  • JengoJengo Sedro-Woolley, WA | USA
    edited Sep 2006
    bothered wrote:

Geeeeze!!! LOL

but really does sound like something very interesting, i think it would be awsome to go to a rennasaunce (or however you spell it im to lazy to think about it) fair.
    edited Sep 2006
    checkmate wrote:
    What does he do there?

She, and I am not so sure.
    edited Sep 2006
    Is she in a show, or does she sell things in a booth or shop? Or maybe she is
    profdlp wrote:
    Ratcatcher, I'd guess. :vimp:" alt=":vimp:" />
    edited Sep 2006
    She was working some sort of booth.
    edited Sep 2006
    Nomad wrote:
    She was working some sort of booth.
    The kissing booth?:honoes:
    edited Sep 2006
    She's clearly the lady of the lake.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited Sep 2006
    I'm so nutty about Renn Fests.... I have a costume and everything! They're so much fun! My whole family has costumes, and we have "stock" costumes for when friends and boyfriends want to join in on the fun.

My fest of choice is Maryland's, because it's the only one I've been to! Woo!!

Laugh away, guys...
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX
    edited Sep 2006
    Get any action from those festivals? I dont think that there are any around here in Oklahoma. We have farm shows aka Redneck Get Togethers.
    edited Sep 2006
    Any "action"? What are you implying...?

:wtf:" alt=":wtf:" />
    edited Sep 2006
    you know, make any friends, go hang out later, maybe shoot a round of paintball at the local field; go cruising sometime, you know, the usual. :D
    edited Sep 2006
    StainMeNow wrote:
    Any "action"? What are you implying...?

:wtf:" alt=":wtf:" />

My thoughts exactly.
    edited Sep 2006
    Well....corsets ARE a great way to meet people. Three times more effective than having a cute little dog.

:D
    edited Sep 2006
    That is not terribly surprising.. At all.. In the slightest. smug.gif
    edited Sep 2006
    you know, make any friends, go hang out later, maybe shoot a round of paintball at the local field; go cruising sometime, you know, the usual. :D
    Who shoots a round of paintball when you can go LARPing (Live Action Role-Playing)?
    edited Sep 2006
    StainMeNow wrote:
    Well....corsets ARE a great way to meet people. Three times more effective than having a cute little dog.

I cant possibly understand why:D

@ Checkmate:

you should try paintball, it hurts...but its fun.;D as for me, I have never been larping, but a friend duped me into going snipe hunting with him. (which is a big joke to make someone look like an idiot.) If someone doesnt know what it is, I'll explain.
    edited Sep 2006
    I don't know what snipe hunting is, and would like it explained.

Also, I'm putting on the floor a motion to find a way to add paintball to LARPing. Now accepting ideas.

See, I would LARP, but I think the whole world would make fun of me all at once. Perhaps adding paintball guns to the mix will allow me to feel better about my desire to LARP.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited Sep 2006
    I love LARPers. They make me feel better about myself. Sure, I may be a nerdy, but I'm not a LARPer!

When I see Larpers, I yell "LIGHTENING BOLT!" and throw a wad of paper at them. Then I cross my arms over my chest and claim invisibility so they can't hit me back.
    edited Sep 2006
    I love LARPers. They make me feel better about myself. Sure, I may be a nerdy, but I'm not a LARPer!

When I see Larpers, I yell "LIGHTENING BOLT!" and throw a wad of paper at them. Then I cross my arms over my chest and claim invisibility so they can't hit me back.

*hangs head in shame for the fact that I would like to even TRY LARP*

Thanks, Buddy.

:-P
  • primesuspectprimesuspect HumanGarbageDisposal Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Sep 2006
    edited Sep 2006
    BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

/me throws paper wads at StainMeNow.
    edited Sep 2006
    The comments are the BEST:
    smartass wrote:
    ugh that such people walk the same earth as i...
    I believe the game played is called "Virgins Galore"...but I am not certain.
    WHAT MASSIVELY GIANT NERDS!

;D
    edited Sep 2006
    ok, snipe hunting is this.

you get a gullible <s>victim</s> friend, and ask them if they have ever been snipe hunting, now, you hope that they haven't and you will know if they have, because they will start laughing.

So tell them that a snip is a little bird the size of your hand, they live in the ground, they only come out at night, and that you want to go catch some (invite them to come along). Now you tell them that the way to catch them is with a paper bag and a stick, and you have to bang the stick against the paper sack to get them to come out, along with doing the snipe call which is in a high pitched voice say: "snipe, snipe". So you go out their with your friend, both of you doing the snipe call and banging your sticks against some paper sacks that you would get from a grocery store, for 5 or 10 minutes. Then you say you see (or heard) a snipe over in the distance, and that you are gonna chase it to your friend, and tell him that he should stay threre and call it.

Now you make your exit stealthily and hope that your friend doesnt see you. You can either go inside, or stay hidden outside and see how long your friend will keep looking for snipes until he realizes that he is an idiot and there are no snipes. :tongue:" alt=":tongue:" />

I have dones this a few times. It is pretty funny if executed correctly, but you have to be dead serious, no smirks or grins allowed, because they will know something is up if you are laughing.

Now this all works better if there is 5 or 6 of you, and one victim; easier to pull off that way because surely 5 people wouldnt all be lying to you.

ta ta for now;)
    edited Sep 2006
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snipe

Snipe are real. You can hunt them and eat them according to wikipedia.
    edited Sep 2006
    StainMeNow wrote:

Maybe for YOU, but the last time I wore a corset, people ran in all directions, and crossed the street to AVOID me.... I've had MUCH better success with my dog.... :eek3:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Orange, CA Icrontian
    edited Sep 2006
    Maybe for YOU, but the last time I wore a corset, people ran in all directions, and crossed the street to AVOID me.... I've had MUCH better success with my dog.... :eek3:

I actually plan to run away screaming just from having imagined you in a corset, Brian! :vimp:" alt=":vimp:" />
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited Sep 2006
    My cousins took me snipe hunting on my uncle's farm when I was about eight. I nearly froze to death before I found my way out of the woods and back to the house. :eek:" alt=":eek:" />

I wore a corset for over a year due to back trouble. I think the attraction comes from what is spilling out of the top of it, not the corset itself. No one paid me any attention at all. (Thank goodness.) :buck:" alt=":buck:" />
    edited Sep 2006
    I cant possibly understand why:D

@ Checkmate:

you should try paintball, it hurts...but its fun.;D as for me, I have never been larping, but a friend duped me into going snipe hunting with him. (which is a big joke to make someone look like an idiot.) If someone doesnt know what it is, I'll explain.
    My uncle did that to me, lol!