Pls help - Can't instal XP MCE on RAID

edited September 2006 in Science & Tech
Hi,

Cany anyone shed any light on this?

I have downloaded the latest drivers to floppy for my Asus A8N SLI Premium.
I have enabled all Nvidia RAID options in the BIOS
At POST I pressed F10 to enable Nvidia RAID screen and create a RAID 0 array with 64k data ect ect.
The end result of this is that it states the RAID array is pere=fectly healthy and bootable.

On reloading windows it detects the array and then MCE instal starts.
Goes all the way through to the bit you press F6 and load the driver.
Driver loads and at the screen where you can instal XP or repair or Quit I select Instal XP and am told it cant find a hard drive and so quits out.

Ive tried this loop many times and can't think of what else to do.

Im not convinced RAID has anything to do with this problem as its all detected and shown as healthy via the vvidia raid tool.

Any ideas? anything at all??

Comments

• PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    try 8k and 16k stripes? /me shrugs

ermm..edit...

try a 4k stripe.
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited September 2006
    Mickey123 wrote:
    Hi,

Cany anyone shed any light on this?

I have downloaded the latest drivers to floppy for my Asus A8N SLI Premium.
    I have enabled all Nvidia RAID options in the BIOS
    At POST I pressed F10 to enable Nvidia RAID screen and create a RAID 0 array with 64k data ect ect.
    The end result of this is that it states the RAID array is pere=fectly healthy and bootable.

On reloading windows it detects the array and then MCE instal starts.
    Goes all the way through to the bit you press F6 and load the driver.
    Driver loads and at the screen where you can instal XP or repair or Quit I select Instal XP and am told it cant find a hard drive and so quits out.

Ive tried this loop many times and can't think of what else to do.

Im not convinced RAID has anything to do with this problem as its all detected and shown as healthy via the vvidia raid tool.

Any ideas? anything at all??

If the array has been created successfully according to the RAID BIOS and has been labeled as bootable (as you stated), then ensure that you have the SATA onboard as the initial boot device in BIOS (if applicable boot other device should be set as well, assuming that the SATA onboard is not already an option) and are using the updated WHQL drivers on the floppy (some driver sets have a text mode ini, which presents options for multiple driver set for different OSs, choose the correct ones).
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I also just remembered an issue I had with this at a clients, that driver disk required two different drivers...not just one. Then again I was trying to make a custom erd commander disk, it was just a pain in the ass working with nvraid

follow this to a T

http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=292
  • edited September 2006
    Finally got this sorted. Thanks for your replies,much appreciated.

I created a floppy from the CD that came with the MB as opposed to the one I have just downloaded thinking the downloaded one would be more up to date esspecially when it is from the Asus web site itself.

Everything works fine!! Asus should be shot!!

Thanks again

Mickey
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited September 2006
    It's good you solved the problem Mickey123.

During my search for Raid installation information I stumbled on this last night.

Integration of the nVRaid drivers into Windows XP, Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003

I hope it will help someone .....
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Keep in mind XP can just be a bitch about these things. I had to give up in the end installing XP on my RAID0 nForce simply because it wouldn't even start setup (nevermind reach the driver bit) if I didn't have a plain SATA drive connected (and if I did Windows would want to install files and boot info to that drive, which wasn't preferable or even usable).
  • edited September 2006
    Im only tring RAID 0 out to see if xp loads any quicker of BF2 has any improvment.

I can honestly say XP loads no quicker. Im still testing BF2.

Im not into bench marks and know my PC throughout. I dont need stats to tell me its faster. At the mo theres not a diff at all.

Mind you Im very disapointed with Raptor HDs. As on there own there little faster 'noticable difference wise' than a standard 7200 SATA.