Interesting AMD predictions (and also ATI)

edited September 2006 in Hardware
Check this out. There are bright predictions about AMD in the long term, and, interestingly, a dim prediction about ATI's discrete graphics business. They sound pretty sensible to me.

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/060925/17431_id.html?.v=1

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Very intresting, I think AMD will drop Discrete Graphics but only as seperate cards rather than the entire operation. GPU in sockets is where things are headed, or even on-die GPU's.. unless AMD loves Nvidia that much?
  • edited September 2006
    Intel just announced today that they are releasing the quad-core Core2 based Xeon chips in November. The competition is getting really hot, let's sit tight and see how the computing landscape evolves in the following months. I agree, discrete graphics has limited future with the multiple core processors appearing where the GPU functionality can be integrated inside the CPU. The problem I see is memory bandwidth, the FSB on the current generation PC is not as fast as high-end graphics memory on the separate graphics card.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    If they can get Higher Level cache on die for GPU's or any cache they can than drop down to lower memory.. If I understand the tech properly. As of now GPU's do not use a higher structure of Cache...
  • edited September 2006
    It would mean more system RAM requirements at the very least. Not having an extra 512MB+ set aside for graphics would mean a much higher load on system RAM.