Thank you...and please keep Folding!

CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
edited October 2006 in Folding@Home
First, I want to thank everyone for Folding. I've never really had any personal buy-in to the whole F@H thing, I did it because my PC was on 24/7 anyway, so it didn't hurt to be doing something with those cycles, and the whole SETI project was starting to bore me. Sure, my grandfather died of cancer, but a career as a firefighter, and a lifetime of heavy smoking and drinking did a lot to contribute to that particular condition. I digress....

Then I did it because I was a member of a community, first Icrontic, and then S-M. It was fun to track stats, and to try and catch other teams. When I got my own Team S-M folding rig, I was thrilled beyond words. It was difficult to explain to non-folders exactly WHY that PC was being shipped to me. :banghead:

I don't want to go into details, that's not why I'm here, but someone close to me was just diagnosed w. a folding related disease. Now, unfortunately, it's personal. :grumble:

Thank you all for folding, and thank you all for keeping at it 24/7/365. Together, we'll make a difference. :thumbup

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Mutual support is what a community is for.
    Best to you and yours. I pray that all goes well.
    ed
  • vaiovaio England
    edited September 2006
    The fight goes on!!!
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    edcentric put it very well. :)

You may find some encouragement in going through Stanford's Results and Papers pages. Besides watching the WU's and points pile up, it's helpful to see the specific areas where the research is beginning to pay off.
    We have been studying the p53 tumor surpressor and our first results on p53 have recently been published...

...Roughly half of all known cancers result from mutations in p53. Our first work in the cancer area examines the tetramerization domain of p53. We predict how p53 folds and in doing so, we can predict which amino acid mutations would be relevant...
    We have been developing new ways to calculate the free energy of protein-ligand binding (important to drug design) to unprecedented accuracy.

The research is making a difference, and everyone who Folds is helping. :fold:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Folding aside... As a Family of Folders, I hope that your loved one caught it early and can overcome this illness. I fold for this exact reason. While I would never look down at someone that doesn't fold or decides to fold only after being effected... I fold because I want to be a part of the cure so, hopefully, my kids and grandkids will not be affected with these illnesses. Fold for a Cure...
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited October 2006
    QCH2002 wrote:
    I fold because I want to be a part of the cure so, hopefully, my kids and grandkids will not be affected with these illnesses. Fold for a Cure...

Ditto :beer:
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited October 2006
    Cheers guys! I fold for my dad, and for the life he lived before cancer took him away from me. I will forever fold and take my cog tattooed on the back of my leg to the grave with me. Fold on Team 93, for a cure!