Zalman CNPS 9500 & TT Big Typhoon on sale at Newegg

edited October 2006 in Trading Post
[Update by Leonardo]: For those of you who might be interested, Newegg has the Zalman CNPS 9500 on sale now too.

This looks like a good deal, $39.99 and free shipping, for one of the best air-coolers. I just bought one for my Athlon 64 X2.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835106061

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Don't hesitate, just GET IT! Awesome coolers. Also, if you put an LED fan on it in a windowed case, it's quite a sight. I run three-color LED Antec fans on mine.
  • edited October 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Don't hesitate, just GET IT! Awesome coolers. Also, if you put an LED fan on it in a windowed case, it's quite a sight. I run three-color LED Antec fans on mine.

I was also thinking about replacing the 1300 rpm fan. Do you think there will be any improvement in cooling performance with a faster fan at ~2000rpm? I have the following two 120mm fans, which one would you recommend to go with TT Big Typhoon?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999127
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999122
    edited October 2006
    2000 RPM will give the CPU lower temperatures. Just try the quiet, 1300 RPM model first. It's quite possible you won't need to go any cooler.
  • edited October 2006
    :wow2: 10C lower right off the bat. I need to overclock more now, then I will need an even better cooler :scratch:
    edited October 2006
    The next step would be water. Experiment with different fans and different airflow patterns in the case. Of course, you could also lap the the heatsink bottom and the heatspreader on the CPU. That might net you another 2*C.

For those of you who might be interested, Newegg has the Zalman CNPS 9500 on sale now too.
  • edited October 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    The next step would be water. Experiment with different fans and different airflow patterns in the case. Of course, you could also lap the the heatsink bottom and the heatspreader on the CPU. That might net you another 2*C.

For those of you who might be interested, Newegg has the Zalman CNPS 9500 on sale now too.

TT Big Typhoon is wonderful. The air it blows down the heatsink also helps cooling the NB and RAM. I changed the fan with a TT VR fan; 2000rpm seems like a good compromise between silence and performance. Here is a picture of my configuration.

On the other hand, I was not lucky enough with the processor. Now that I have the better cooling, I tried 2.7GHz but my A64-X2-3800+ was not Prime95 stable at 1.5v. It seems to me that it needs 1.55 or 1.6v for stability. If the only problem was heat I would have invested in water cooling, but I do not feel comfortable with increasing the voltage more than 0.1 over the upper limit of recommended range.
    edited October 2006
    2000rpm seems like a good compromise between silence and performance
    I run three-speed Antec (three color LED) fans on my Typhoons. The medium speed, about 2000RPM is also the best sound/performance compromise. I cannot hear the them, and high speed only brings 1*C cooler operating temperatures at full load.
  • edited October 2006
    It should be spectacular with three-color LEDs behind a window. Here is another small picture with blue LEDs on. My case does not have a window, so the side panel is off to see the lights.