Help Diagnosing a Problem, Please (Longish)

ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
edited October 2006 in Hardware
Hi guys. How y'all been?

OK here's the short version: On a freshly formatted WinXP Pro SP1 SP2 install, I am trying to install World of Warcraft (4 discs) but at varying points on the first disc, it freezes the OS.

Long version - here's what I've done so far:

System - P4C 2.6, 1.5g RAM (2 matched pairs of Corsair), P4C800-E Deluxe mobo, Radeon 9800XT. There were 2 Raptors in SATA RAID but I took them out as part of my detective work and presently there is a Maxtor 120G PATA drive in there. 2 optical drives, master is an LG CD-RW and slave is an LG DVD-R. I've tried both drives as the install drive, same error/crash either way. Both drives read discs fine and I am able to use either drive to install XP, get patches & drivers off burnt discs, etc.

I've varied the order and number of drivers and patches installed each time I installed WinXP (on 4th install since last night right now). Currently neither SP2 nor ATI drivers are installed - I had a sneaky suspicion one of them (or the .NET framework) was causing the problem but that does not appear to be the case. Latest Intel chipset driver, SP1, latest audio driver from asus, DX9.0c are basically all that is on the OS besides WINZIP. I tried using older versions of the chipset and audio drivers, to no avail.

bios settings are max compatibility, no overclocks or PAT or advanced memory timings, nothing other than enabling onboard devices like LAN & audio. All drives are properly identified in bios. There's a fresh install of the heatsink & fan (stock Intel) and heat is definitely not a problem. The power supply is relatively new, is not a cheapo, and the computer hasn't been exposed to any power surges or other wierdness that I am aware of.

I am currently running MEMTEST86, am at the end of the 2nd full cycle with no errors.

I am nearing my wits end and don't know what else to try. The WOW install discs have been used successfully 3-4 times in the past, they have no visible marks indicating abuse or need of cleaning.

Other than the HD, (and the PSU being somewhat newer) this exact configuration has been my main gaming rig for something like 3 years. I figure it's a hardware problem....do I start pulling DIMMs?

/me reaches over and punches the case in frustration. I feel like I must be missing something obvious........

Thanks in advance for looking and for your help.

Comments

• ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Umm it does appear to be the PSU. I fiddled in the bios and changed some IDE configuration stuffs, compatible mode // PATA only. Inserted the WOW disc and got about 30 seconds into the install, the machine blinked and rebooted.

I haven't run out and bought a new one yet, so if you have other thoughts based on any of the above, please speak up.
    edited October 2006
    I tried just hooking up just 1 optical, and using a different.....not sure how to describe it....power line out of the PSU - an Enermax 465 by the way. Same deal, install started and stopped at about 30 seconds. The machine didn't reboot, but the OS froze. I could still get the CD drive to eject the disc. I'm not sure about the PSU being the problem. Dammit.

PS Memtest ended up going thru 3 rotations and not finding any errors. I could run it overnight but I'm reasonably certain that's not the problem.

Possible culprits at this point: PSU. The CPU itself - how would I test that? It's definitely been exposed to high heat and long term overclocking, so makes the candidate list without a doubt. The mobo.

I'm on the verge of running out and buying a mobo/cpu but I really really don't want to upgrade vid card/memory/hd's at the moment if I don't have to. I'm 95% out of date on a) what's out there b) what's coming

SATA2 DDR2 PCI-E = all things I don't have
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Hi Keto

Here is somthing you did not mention. Install PC Probe , it should be on your motherboard CD. You can monitor your voltages from the OS while you are trying to crash it. Also I would run Prime 95 to really load it up and watch the voltages . This will at least try to rule out the PSU or CPU. It looks like you have covered your bases pretty well. This should be pretty easy and won't cost anything.

Good luck

Scott
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2006
    I'm betting you're right about the PSU. Scott's suggestion is an excellent one to help be sure before opening the checkbook. :)
    edited October 2006
    4600+ dual core 939. A8N-E. Radeon 1900GT. Antec Sonata II c/w 450W PSU. All bases covered. LOL. I pitched my old case, mobo & cpu. I can reuse my existing drives & memory. I'll keep the PSU around as a 'just in case/emergency'. General consensus, but not proven, is that the years of overheating the cpu caused it to be partially but no longer completely functional.

I did have one other simple diagnosis given to me - a bad WOW disc. So I a) burned an image -> fresh CD. Nope. And tested the originals in another computer here - installed fine. I was kickin myself for not considering that.

Thanks again for the replies, men!

**EDIT**
    Holy mother of &^$%@#. I just finished a build, 3+ hours (with interruptions to smoke, watch baseball, etc.) and discovered he sold me a PSU with a 20 pin connector and a mobo with a 24 pin receptacle. I am sooooo happy right now! :whatever:
    edited October 2006
    Nice of 'em about the PSU... :shakehead
    keto wrote:
    ...with interruptions to smoke, watch baseball, etc...
    You do know that one of those is very bad for your heart, right? :eek:

The other one makes your clothes smell like smoke.

Signed,

Heartbroken Indians Fan
    edited October 2006
    Turns out the N00b = me. The main PSU connector is 20 pin but there's a little 4 pin piece that clicks in right beside it. I had the right parts all along. Ah, it's ok the extra stress, hours of my time, and miles on my car, compounded with the eating of crow when he showed me what I'd missed, all that stuff builds character. And scars.

Hafner has been a fave of mine since his rookie year. IIRC he was highly touted and has in his case lived up to the hype. Go down there and make them get some pitching, bro.
    edited October 2006
    Their starters look set for next year. If they get the bullpen straightened out and find a closer (not so easy, I know), then they'll be back in it next year.

Glad you got your PSU straightened out. :cheers: